Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just about done.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
So what you're saying is you got tired of all the Yahoo idiots on the river and went at found your own piece of water. That's exactly what I am planning on doing through either permission or a checkbook. :)

Let me know lol. Not sure how, but a small group from CBUS lease ground 2 miles up from my main property. Prime property but I told you they dont know what there doing.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
By the way I sat down last night and printed out 26 properties off the auditors website that I will be visiting this summer. I wonder how large this portfolio will grow by the time May arrives. bound to be a diamond in this pile somewhere.

Thats a great idea for NEXT year, but what about the remainder of THIS year? The way i see it, you helped your GF get her first deer, you've already had a successful year, why stop now? those slobs arent going to kill tank dude, he's too smart for that. unfortunately they might get some of the does you were hoping to spare.

Lets try to explain it this way.. You spend months working on the most perfect sand castle you can imagine. You put your time, energy, and devotion in to it.. You are having a blast, really you don't care how long it takes, and you secretly hope you never finish it because you enjoy the process of doing it. You toil and fidget with this and that you're having a blast building this sand castle. Then. Just as you think it's starting to look good. Some fat twinkey eating lackey barges on to the beach and does a belly flop right on it..

I guess that kinda puts things into perspective. So your saying you love to do the prep work, run cameras, mineral sites... But when the twinkey eater flops on your castle you dont see it as an opportunity to tweak and refine the way you did it the first time? rebuild your castle the best you can and enjoy that part of it since thats what you like. Fugg that twinkey ass mofo, He'll probably push tank right to you anyway.

I got to feeling like this last year too, I was basically told to stop being a button buck and get out there and hunt.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Joe, the feelings you've expressed are exactly why I went "OLD SCHOOL". I was too heavily invested in deer that I did not have sole rights too. It took all the fun out of the thing for me. Now, I just hunt and am much happier. I hope people don't mess me up too badly, but if they do I don't have to see the evidence of it via an emailed picture.

Also, I think you are over-thinking this. You are pretty sure Deer A is bedded in Thicket B, and will be feeding in Field C. It doesn't work that way, ever, at least for me. Jesse made some great points in his posts. I remeber having this exact conversation with him several years ago. You just do this stuff for fun, don't over-invest yourself. Do what you do, but realize you will have other factors (people) come into play...even if you OWN a chunk of ground.

twireman

Kingston, OH
You just do this stuff for fun, don't over-invest yourself. Do what you do, but realize you will have other factors (people) come into play...even if you OWN a chunk of ground.

Yep. This young black kid from Columbus found himself on the back of our property in the hills of pike county monday of gun season. We heard him hollering at last light. Dead cellphone and no flashlight. Lost as hell and scared shitless!. 3 miles from where he started. Whadya do.... Dropped him off at the road and pointed to the direction he came from lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354671783.003552.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep. This young black kid from Columbus found himself on the back of our property in the hills of pike county monday of gun season. We heard him hollering at last light. Dead cellphone and no flashlight. Lost as hell and scared shitless!. 3 miles from where he started. Whadya do.... Dropped him off at the road and pointed to the direction he came from lol
View attachment 11747

Sorry to hi-jack but that is funny as heck right there!

Dante saying they referred to him as "a button buck" was funny.

Joe referencing fat kids and twinkies only to be followed up by a post by Diablo was funny. (I think Taylor felt you were referring to him. lmao)

Mike- I am happy for you but offer my warning. Enjoy it, but don't expect your problems to disappear. Sadly, you and I have blank canvas of about the same size. It is somewhat liberating and feels amazing to own a piece of ground bigger than the one your house sits on. Sadly, I found out this year there are a LOT of others that still don't care who owns it. They still use it like their own. I wouldn't do it all over. Just wanted to prepare you for some potential frustration. There is no perfect answer. I still offer my congrats though. I am certain you are going to enjoy it immensely!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Joe, the feelings you've expressed are exactly why I went "OLD SCHOOL". I was too heavily invested in deer that I did not have sole rights too. It took all the fun out of the thing for me. Now, I just hunt and am much happier. I hope people don't mess me up too badly, but if they do I don't have to see the evidence of it via an emailed picture.

Also, I think you are over-thinking this. You are pretty sure Deer A is bedded in Thicket B, and will be feeding in Field C. It doesn't work that way, ever, at least for me. Jesse made some great points in his posts. I remeber having this exact conversation with him several years ago. You just do this stuff for fun, don't over-invest yourself. Do what you do, but realize you will have other factors (people) come into play...even if you OWN a chunk of ground.

I agree with this Brock. Although I have done my share of complaining this year, I have thoroughly enjoyed this season above all others. I told myself and several others at Deer Camp that I wasn't going to rely on my cameras this year and get back to the basics, and I must say, it is very enjoyable. I am less concerned about what deer are passing through, and more concerned about what the sign says when I'm in an area.
This has taken a ton of pressure off of me, and I also believe it has forced me to get back to the basics of hunting. We live in a high tech world, and sometimes that technology is enough to drive a man crazy. I know I can get pictures of good deer on camera, that is easy. Learning how to kill these animals while dealing with other hunters that aren't as careful about their scent and stand placement, or as passionate as I am, that is the real challenge.

I will tell you though, I still struggle with the idea that people won't look at me as a great hunter until I start putting good deer on the ground. I know this is mostly in my head, but it still drives me nuts. I see some of these guys on TV, and sometimes I just gotta shake my head. There are a few of those guys that don't know crap about killing big deal, other than paying a big name outfitter to tell them which stand to hunt in, yet people look at them like they are gods. I honestly believe in my head, that I could hunt with some of the best on this forum, I just don't have the "trophy wall" to prove it. My time will come, but I am slowly learning to cope with the idea that I don't have to kill big deer every year to know that I had a successful season.

Don't beat yourself up over it TOO bad Joe. We live in the real world, and in the real world you just don't kill a 150" deer every year. There's still lots of season left, and in my opinion, the most predictable big buck hunting is coming up in January. The only downfall to chasing them then is the cold weather, and the dropping antlers. Keep your head up buddy!

dangerousoldman

tough part is we love the woods and the challenge of figuring out these deer and are very competitive with ourselves to prove we can outsmart a nice buck. I know it isnt about the killing but the challenge that makes us hunt. Thats why we are different from the once a year sitters that sometimes kill a deer. Ideal world and situation we would be able to compete one on one without any other unexpected influences but thats not reality. Joe, you have to be careful not to love your sport to "death". You sound like me when I feel guilty for not hunting when I could sometimes due to frustration about other people, or bad wind etc. truth is, we are so eat up with the challenge of deer hunting and the logistics of it (trail cams , stand placement, sign reading, figuring out things others would never think of etc. ) that not being involved in it would create a void that nothing else owuld really feel. It is the price we pay for the golden moments that we do get to experience that others just dont understand. Heck i had "the Boss" (estimated 170 to 180) buck within 40 yards of me this year for 5 mins or so. Biggest deer I ever targeted and had success on being close to. I passed the shot as not good enough but you know that feeling I will never forget and even other people's dipshit actions can never take that from me. You have those moments too and you know it cant be replaced. It is the price we pay for what we love. We just have to keep our obsession from becoming harmful to our reason for the obsession.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There are very few I see on TV which I feel are "great hunters". I would say we have more on TOO than I see on TV. Greg, I would rather hunt with you than the Greg on TV. Ritz could learn a thing or two following you, Joe, Brock, Ric, Ron, Gern, JD, or many of the guys on here around.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I have nothing to say other than I feel your pain. It seems I can put the turkey breasts in the freezer in the spring but no matter how many cams I run or how much ground I hunt, I still struggle putting a good buck on the ground. One of these days I will sit behind a great buck I have invested the time with.

oakswamper

around Toledo
Sadly, I found out this year there are a LOT of others that still don't care who owns it. They still use it like their own. I wouldn't do it all over. Just wanted to prepare you for some potential frustration. There is no perfect answer. I still offer my congrats though. I am certain you are going to enjoy it immensely!

You said a mouthfull there in my opinion

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I still don't think you guys really get what I'm saying. I love every aspect of hunting and the way I do it. Wouldn't change a thing. I feel no pressure to kill a buck. I don't judge my season by what's at the taxi. I know they are not "my deer". Im not giving up on the season. Quitting. Or Slacking off. The only thing that torques me off is the lackeys showing up and in one bonehead move screwing up a ton of work. I'm pretty good at finding and patterning deer. But that doesn't do you one bit of good if you have bozos constantly jacking things up. None. It removes every single piece of edge you have and places the fate of your hunts solely at 100% luck. It does you no good to run cams or scout if you constantly have people doing bonehead things everywhere you go. Like a neighbor shooting does in peak rut. Not the smartest thing to shoot the bait. But whatever to each their own. What torques me is them yelling back and forth in the woods at dark "find anything" "no I think you missed her" "no way! I hit her. And on and on for 30 min.

It does you no good to run cams in a 10 acre woodlot. I someone is goin to ride their quad through it a week before gun season so they can pick out trees. How I hunt, what I kill, and the work I do isn't what makes deer hunting not fun. Inlove that stuff. It's the boneheads that are out of my control that torques me off and make me want to find better things to do with my time. I could literally sell all my cams, never buy or haul bait again, sit in a blind with my crossbow reading playboy and be in just as good a shape as I am right now. The one thing making what I do now and that the same odds. Boneheads.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Time/effort/resources VS Reward

You put the resources in to only have some jackwad come fugg it up (reward). I completely get it.

Akin to blue balls. All that effort and excitement build up then the parents walk in ;).... but you'll do it over and over. Until if you find something more um.....rewarding.

Again mine is similar but the jackwad part is minimal this year. I just don't have the deer. The few I have the jackwads run off.....lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I fully understand what you're saying Joe, that's why I'd let things go for a spell and go Xmas shopping,spend time with the GF and get some shit around the house done and hopefully inclement weather hits and these boneheads leave. Change your hunting tactic to grain field edges or near known bedding areas and maybe Lady Luck will shine your way. It is sad so many pathetic so called deer hunters Fugg up the chase for those who put more into it.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
FYI - Flutie, you ARE a great hunter. Yer the real deal, just like Phil said, along with Ric and Joe and Gern and Brock and a whole lotta others here.

(Sorry for gayin' up yer thread Joe)

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Joe,
You might as well just go find some thick "grub" in the Wayne National forest and sit down for a week, then let every jackwad out there run the biggest bucks to you....hardly any work at all, just sit on your ass and wait....:smiley_crocodile:

k.stone

central Ohio
Kinda like meeting a nice girl at the local pub, buying her some nachos and filling her full of drinks, staring at her t/a all night only to have her ex come in at closing time and mess up your mojo just as you were ready to close the deal. Don't even get a dry hump out of your efforts.
Oh well, always next weekend.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe,
You might as well just go find some thick "grub" in the Wayne National forest and sit down for a week, then let every jackwad out there run the biggest bucks to you....hardly any work at all, just sit on your ass and wait....:smiley_crocodile:

Hahahah. I forgot about that. I should go hunt those heavily pressured public land deer and quit hunting these private land groomed pet deer. Lmao.

Sounds like it has been a long and drawn out season with a bit of drama for you Joe. Keep in mind the next 2 months most people don't get out much and deer will quickly become huntable again. Now may be your time! Get the camera's going to see what survived and start figuring things out again. It's a chess game.......don't fall to a check........time to get your check-mate!!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Unfortunately your experiences pretty much mirror mine for the last few yrs . Such is life and deer hunting in Ohio it seems. More often than not your gonna have to share properties and most hunters don't look at the big picture . Wind direction, stand entry and exit, bein scent conscious and timing don't factor in to their decisions . I had the most frustrating season ever and honestly found myself walking out of the woods pissed and grumpy. My wife even brought up how grouchy I was thru November. I am not sure what road to take from here on out but I am indeed at a crossroads in my deer hunting career. For now I just don't fuggin care and I am gonna have some fun and hunt ducks .