Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just about done.

dangerousoldman

key word Joe "out of your control". enjoy the parts of it you can and dont let the other parts burn you down. only thing we can do. like me you enjoy the set up and the scouting and the hunt. gotta take some solace from that. It will always beat couch time....dickweeds are a part of life. cant let them take away all the soul satisfying times..

mrex

*Supporting member*
Adversity is what makes these things trophies. Adversity as it relates to killing a mature buck comes in several different forms.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Trust me man. I am in that boat right beside you every year around here and since I started running cams a few years ago it makes it that much more painful. I have slobs that ride quads all over the property, people pop up a few days before gun season and walk all over the property trying to figure out where the deer are so they can sit their happy ass there in hopes of shooting one even though after the first 2 hours it becomes a drive because they got cold and they start walking around to warm up.

I truly do get it and right there with ya brother. After gun season here ya might as well hang it up because the deer have gone nocturnal and you ain't gonna see shit during daylight but an occasional doe.

Deer sightings.....pfft. Be lucky to see a deer every couple days early season. After the week before gun season ya might as well forget it ya ain't seein shit.

These days I figure I have a better chance of being in a warm house and bangin the wife then going out freezing my ass off to shoot a damn deer lol.

Good grief I need to go shoot some coon this weekend. Something oh plenty that I can shoot a bunch of and feel good putting a dent in the population ;)

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Just a thought, you do a tremendous amount of work placing cams and scouting your deer, how much do you attribute your problem with other hunters to giving too much public information about your trophy bucks? Believe me, there are probably people who know where you hunt and are perfectly willing to let you do the scouting for them and really enjoy your trail cam pics and you know how fast information travels these days. I look forward to all the awesome pics you and others post but I often wonder how many poachers or other hunters in your area look at them too. Just sayin.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just a thought, you do a tremendous amount of work placing cams and scouting your deer, how much do you attribute your problem with other hunters to giving too much public information about your trophy bucks? Believe me, there are probably people who know where you hunt and are perfectly willing to let you do the scouting for them and really enjoy your trail cam pics and you know how fast information travels these days. I look forward to all the awesome pics you and others post but I often wonder how many poachers or other hunters in your area look at them too. Just sayin.

I've never mentioned on here a location where I hunt or what property the pics came from. Only three people that I know up there know where I hunt. Both are buds that have had permission there longer than I even though neither of them hunt there anymore.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I saw a shitload of deer in Vinton Co tonight...jus sayin

There are spots. Few and far between. Also. The weather will push them out of the hills and in to the valleys. In December through February you'll see them yarded up in a field. Just keep in mind that's likely all the deer from all those hills in the background. Spread them back out up there and they'll be few and far between.

Huckleberry Finn

There are spots. Few and far between. Also. The weather will push them out of the hills and in to the valleys. In December through February you'll see them yarded up in a field. Just keep in mind that's likely all the deer from all those hills in the background. Spread them back out up there and they'll be few and far between.

I believe you, I was just surprised to see yarding so soon after gun. I saw at least 20 deer between Logan and MacArthur on 93. I know, I know, coulda been 60, but still, I was like "damn!"

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Im in the same boat.... been a NIGHTMARE of a year for me as well. Not just in the deer woods but in everyday life struggles (work & family). Ive started to look at hunting like I did when I was a very young kid. I will make it out when I have time and try to enjoy it for what it is.... time afield. I go out ALOT and never see a single deer, but keep that "he could show at any min." in the back of my head.

Ive honestly about laid my bow down and dusted off the decoys and duck gun. Im ready to start killing and the only thing ive killed in the deer woods is "Leave" from work.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I believe you, I was just surprised to see yarding so soon after gun. I saw at least 20 deer between Logan and MacArthur on 93. I know, I know, coulda been 60, but still, I was like "damn!"

Another thing you have to remember is those deer get pushed out of the hills because most people down there drive them. If you spread those deer out evenly along your route you would have seen less than one dear per mile.