Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lost a good one

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
We were doing a deer drive through a crp field and found one of our target deer dead. We didnt see anything that would cause his death. Looked like he was dead for 2 or 3 days. He scored 177gross.
It would have been a great deer for someone. Just too bad. 14pt..jpghghygy.jpg

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
There was a bunch of infection around his ear and antler bases. There was also a gouge in the top of his head.It didnt penatrate the skull though.

There were no bullit holes to be found, And he was over 600 yards from the nearest road.

I would also like too know how he died.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Huh! That's too bad. I wonder if he got injured in a fight? Even though he didn't get locked up or his gouge didn't appear to penetrate his skull. They do suffer from stress and trauma. Sad ending to a true giant!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's a dang shame but glad you found him and know now what happened to him.

If it were me though, I'd have contacted the WO officer in your area and had him give you a permit for the rack so I could keep hunting for another buck. I understand though if he was a main target buck and your buddy just doesn't have anything else to hunt either.

Ron and I talked about this very subject recently and feel when these bucks get into knock down drag out fights that their bodies absorb a lot of stress and that might have been a factor in this bucks demise.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
we called the odnr and they told us to get ahold of the police to get a tag. The police said to get ahold of the odnr.

It was my buddys last day to hunt anyway. He found it and wanted to tag it.

This buck was a very active buck. He had a large range. I'm sure its very posible he over did himself. And even though
we didnt see any bullit holes. A 22 shot would be hard to see.
If the buck didnt stink so bad, I would have checked him out better. He had maggets on him so forget that.

I hope some idiot didnt shoot him. fn poachers