Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone ever seen this before?

Derek j

Knox Co.
I shot a big old doe yesterday at the farm. When I was gutting her, I noticed some clear, yellow liquid coming out of the cut from her stomach. When I got her hung up, and started skinning her out, more and more of the yellow fluid was visible in certain pockets between skin and fat. You could tell that she was in estrous, just by the smell of her. Has anyone ever seen this before or heard of it? In all my years of hunting, I have not seen it....and neither has my dad. Hopefully the pics can show it clearly.....it looks like water with yellow food coloring in it. Any thoughts?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354289785.100904.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354289805.517779.jpg

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Never seen that myself. I have heard that a doe in estrus taste like shiat though. Wonder if this is the reason why ? Wish I was more helpful but we will both learn us something here I guess.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm having difficulty identifying what part(s) of the deer I'm looking at in those pics. Were there any lymph nodes near the pockets of yellow fluid?

To answer your question, though... No, I've never seen anything like that before. Not sure what to think about it to be quite honest. Was there any offensive odor coming from the meat?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm having difficulty identifying what part(s) of the deer I'm looking at in those pics. Were there any lymph nodes near the pockets of yellow fluid?

To answer your question, though... No, I've never seen anything like that before. Not sure what to think about it to be quite honest. Was there any offensive odor coming from the meat?

I'm thinking along the same lines here JB...

Derek j

Knox Co.
There was no offensive odor to it, just sort of slimy. The first pic is up near the brisket, and the second is near the teats/stomach area.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Whenever I see yellow, my first thought is puss... and/or infection. I think yellow liquid could also be a sign of minor bruising... collision with a vehicle, running into a downed tree, or even being bred by a big ol' buck. Hard to say what could have caused it. I don't know... Just speculating.

Derek j

Knox Co.
Jesse - she had been dead for close to two hours.....give or take a few minutes.

Milo - no smell really to speak of.

I do think she had been ran hard the last couple weeks. I also believe she was in, or had recently come out, of cycle before she met her demise. The smell of her hair put a bottle of tinks to shame

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was just wondering if it could have been "melted" fat, but that seems highly unlikely. It's an odd color that's for sure. I'd guess injury or estrous related. Maybe email the DNR and see if a biologist can tell you.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
the stuff i had looked like simple green under the tissue. It smelled purty rank and I think it was called bone sour...lost a good bit of meat from it on that buck

Derek j

Knox Co.
Hopefully I won't have to toss it. I will be getting in touch with a biologist ASAP so I can get some answers. It doesn't have any odor to it, so I don't think it's any kind of infection or bacteria. I will keep everyone informed When I get some answers.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I doubt they'd be producing breast milk yet, but you said around the years it is yellow. Could it be Colostrom? Thats the nutritious part of breast milk. Helps fight infections in babies.
Just an off the wall guess.

Very educated guess right there. I had forgotten all about colostrum until you mentioned that word. Good memory about the mammories Cottis!

Derek j

Knox Co.
LOL......unfortunately, Colostrum isn't clear and this yellow. Also, it would only explain the fluid around the teats and stomach. I may contact a local processor and see if they have ever seen it before. Good guess and thanks for helping though Cottis!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hopefully I won't have to toss it. I will be getting in touch with a biologist ASAP so I can get some answers. It doesn't have any odor to it, so I don't think it's any kind of infection or bacteria. I will keep everyone informed When I get some answers.

Would be cool to know what it is. Just keep in mind these are the same biologists that tell you it's ok to eat ehd deer and squirrels with warbles. Lol.