Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Pressure Observations?

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Lot of big assumptions in there. I'm a "slob driver" when it comes to gun season and I can tell you this, we've killed twice the number of deer in the past decade sitting in the morning and evenings than we have while driving. In my recent memory, we have killed 6 deer on drives and wounded one in the past 5 years. There are at least another 10 deer that have been killed while sitting the morning and evening. And as far as baiting during bow season goes, you're talking out of your ass. You don't even have the slightest clue what that number would actually be and I am willing to bet it is not a high as you think it is. Keep the high and mighty BS to a minimum please...

Take your panties out of your butt. You do your thing, ill do mine. I never pointed fingers at you or anyone else on here. Just stating my personal observations. As far as who is full of crap and who thinks they are high and mighty, i think people can decide that on their own. Trust me when I say this, your reactions to posts that you disagree with is turning people away from your site. I enjoy reading and posting here and am glad that this site was created, but you acting like a 13 year old kid just because you take personal offense to everything is not very appealing. I am not going to argue with you anymore. If you really don't like me, ban me. Until then, drink a couple beers, take a deep breath and calm down. I am not going to post something just so I can be patted on the back by other cyber people using this site.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I drive past the prime parking area of Fenwood State Forest today on my way to my spot. I saw 3 trucks. That's unheard of during gun week. Usually there's at least 10-15.
I heard one shot from 3:20- dark. It was like bow season!

Oh, and I didn't see a deer until on the way out.

I love the still hunting talk. However, these dry leaves make it extremely difficult. Especially in the hills here.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
No shortage of hunters here in Highland county, just a shortage of deer. I didn't even carry a gun while I was out. I was waiting for trespassers. The drivers know what properties they can get away with trespassing and where they can not. Makes me want to be at 3 places at once so I could watch them all. My neighbors woods gets raped every year by the slob drivers, I heard them shooting Monday morning, I just can not get there on my land at the same time. Shouldn't have to worry about crap like that.

Brings me to a point, how many deer would be killed during gun season if no one did deer drives?? Probably would see the same reduction in kills if no one baited during bow season. I choose to do neither and hunt deer on their terms and not mine. Just a personal choice, but I would not feel right or accomplished doing it any other way.

Jesse, You tell me what the heck is wrong with my post. Does it make you mad that I do not do deer drives or hunt over bait?? Does it make you mad that I said I would not feel accomplished if I did??

I never once stated that you are a slob if you drive deer or bait. I did state that there are slobs that drive deer all around where I hunt, because its true!! I know because I use to be one of them when I first started out hunting. In no way, shape or form did I apply anything towards you or anyone else on here. If baiting deer and driving deer make you happy, then by all means do it!! Just not my thing, that is all I said.

Also, regardless what you think, I know for a fact that there would be a drop in harvest if absolutely no one baited or party hunted. The majority of bow hunters I know bait, and the majority of gun hunters I know drive. I am not sure what they would do if they were not allowed to do those two things. One thing is for sure, they would not kill no where near as many deer. If someone tells me that baiting and driving are not effective ways to kill deer, they either have not experienced typical results or are a liar. There is a reason why both driving and baiting is so popular, its a great way to see and potentially kill a lot of deer really fast.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
"The majority I know..."

So your relatively small sample of data accurately reflects the masses? Do explain more Mr. Rankin. Oh, and I will remember that name... lmao

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Or hunters have migrated to areas with higher deer densities. I used to hunt vinton county a ton. I hunted there once last year, none this year, and have no plans of hunting it in the future. I started hunting where there were more deer. As areas that have a decreased population begin to grow the hunters will seek out areas with a higher population. It's only natural to hunt the better property. We all do it. As those decreased population areas become larger due to over hunting the mobile hunters will get condensed into a smaller geographic area until that area too is reduced. This is why you see more and more people every year saying their population is down. It's spreading. Some of these people 3-4 years ago laughed and said they had plenty of deer. Hunters today are no different than the Indians. When a population slips they move. If you notice also the majority of people saying they aren't seeing many hunters also aren't seeing many deer. That's because they went to hunt their friends uncles brothers place instead.

Where are the higher density deer areas at? Over the past 5 years I have seen a drastic decline in the hunters here. I remember back when I was in school it seemed like everybody hunted. TRC put the hunting signs down today for the areas designated for people to hunt cause nobody showed up...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Yesterday afternoon I drove from SW PA. to home in NE OH. 163 miles between 2 and 5PM.
In all that open and wooded rural country side,three hour drive, I saw 1 orange gun hunter. Today I hunted all but 3 hours at mid day and heard very little shooting and saw no deer in the woods.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Brings me to a point, how many deer would be killed during gun season if no one did deer drives?? Probably would see the same reduction in kills if no one baited during bow season. I choose to do neither and hunt deer on their terms and not mine. Just a personal choice, but I would not feel right or accomplished doing it any other way.

If I had to guess, these are what people remember from reading your post. It was very Mountaineerish. Just pointing out what jumped out at me.

I killed 4 last year with no bait or drives. I have killed three this year with no bait or drives. Guess what I bought last week? The first 2 bags of corn I have ever purchased. I have an 8yr old that I am determined to get onto a deer this year. You want to know who is pissed? My 8yr old because he has to use a crossbow. He is mad because he couldn't use his Lil' Bear recurve. My point: Everybody has their own way to go about things.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
"The majority I know..."

So your relatively small sample of data accurately reflects the masses? Do explain more Mr. Rankin. Oh, and I will remember that name... lmao

Havn't we been there, done that?? :smiley_depressive: Your bottomless online threats just farther prove your character.

Jackalope,

I didn't PM because I would rather everyone read this stuff instead of just me. You are right though, Jesse has taken this way off topic. I will quit posting now so he can stop getting upset and let the thread assume its course.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yesterday afternoon I drove from SW PA. to home in NE OH. 163 miles between 2 and 5PM.
In all that open and wooded rural country side,three hour drive, I saw 1 orange gun hunter. Today I hunted all but 3 hours at mid day and heard very little shooting and saw no deer in the woods.

See... This is exactly what I'm talking about. HARDLY ANYONE is out gun hunting this week!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Where are the higher density deer areas at? Over the past 5 years I have seen a drastic decline in the hunters here. I remember back when I was in school it seemed like everybody hunted. TRC put the hunting signs down today for the areas designated for people to hunt cause nobody showed up...

There. Lol Its why lee and Tiffany are always spotted around there every season and not in Vinton county. Or that outfitter showed up wanting to lease. Or those two non local guys who just leased a pice steve told you about. Probably has something to do with deer density.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
If I had to guess, these are what people remember from reading your post. It was very Mountaineerish. Just pointing out what jumped out at me.

I killed 4 last year with no bait or drives. I have killed three this year with no bait or drives. Guess what I bought last week? The first 2 bags of corn I have ever purchased. I have an 8yr old that I am determined to get onto a deer this year. You want to know who is pissed? My 8yr old because he has to use a crossbow. He is mad because he couldn't use his Lil' Bear recurve. My point: Everybody has their own way to go about things.

Exactly.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Havn't we been there, done that?? :smiley_depressive: Your bottomless online threats just farther prove your character.

Jackalope,

I didn't PM because I would rather everyone read this stuff instead of just me. You are right though, Jesse has taken this way off topic. I will quit posting now so he can stop getting upset and let the thread assume its course.
It is not a wise idea to admit you are purposfully attempting to publically cause issues. Jesse disagreed with you strongly but stayed on topic. Your previous rant was just about him and TOO and nothing to do with the topic at hand. My statement of take it to a pm was not a request and was directed at both parties.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

Jackalope,

HA. You're hilarious dude. lmao

qdmman

There. Lol Its why lee and Tiffany are always spotted around there every season and not in Vinton county. Or that outfitter showed up wanting to lease. Or those two non local guys who just leased a pice steve told you about. Probably has something to do with deer density.
What's wrong with Vinton county? I know a couple guys who have shot nice deer in that county.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Back on the subject, I heard quite a bit of shooting today (relative of course). I was outside fooling around about 930 and heard some that were fairly close, so I went for a drive around home. I saw one hunter in a tree, and two trucks parked. Never did see the guy I heard shoot. My neighbor just stopped in for a pizza and to show off his buck. It's a dandy, and I will post a pic.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here's my neighbor. For those of you that think it's all about access - you are right! They farm 3-4k acres, and own a majority of it. He kills a dandy almost every year, and may hunt half a dozen times a year. You know where they like to be and sneak in there with a shotgun ready to shoot...

Attachments

• Madison-20121128-00549.jpg
    Madison-20121128-00549.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 124

Flatlander

Darby Creek
I started a job in Hocking county on the opening day of gun season. I am working right in Wayne National Forest and I expected to see the orange army and pickups hauling deer all over town. Well, I have been totally surprised at the lack of hunters and in fact have only seen 2 deer in trucks all week. I have only heard maybe 5 shots all week and they were at a distance. There were a bunch of trucks with ATV's at the local restaurants during lunch time today, but they weren't packing any deer. My drive home is right during prime hunting time and I watch all the woods and fields all the way home and have seen no hunters walking, on stand or sitting in the woods. I've seen a few cars and trucks parked that were obviously hunting but no orange seen. That would be going through Nelsonville down the by-pass around Lancaster to 33 West to 270 around the South end of Columbus to 70 West and 142. I normally see trucks hauling deer all they way home and orange scattered in the woods. Not this year. Just my observation.

Last edited: