Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Home made scent attractant

Buckmaster

Portage
Interesting........

Home made scent attractant utilized by Team Mossy Oak Prostaffers.

Hey Adam, do you still have access to those test dummies?

"I have deer licking everything around the stand it maybe better than corn and only cost 6 dollars to make 3 gallons worth which is plenty for a while here it is.
1 3gal backpack sprayer
1 pint of grape koolaid
1 box of grape jello
1 bottle of anise

mix all together with water and spray your heart out then fill a small spray bottle to refresh whenever you go back out let me know what all your results are like he evens coats his corn piles with it this I haven't done yet"

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Interesting mixture... Anise has always been a deer attarctant seems like... May have too give it a whirl......

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This might be a stupid question but what is anise and where can i buy some. Always looking for something new to try!

Also, if you go too a drug store they have a more pure version of it as well as peppermint and spearmint..... We use anise in baking the wife and I.... Well more her I'm an assistant in that dept.... :smiley_coolpeace:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a neighbor making accusations. Claims one of my hunters shot across the line. Unfortunately, we both have a problem. I believe other trespassers are running rampant and shooting all over the place. I have pictures of a buck on the line broadside at 40-50yds which was passed by a youth hunter last weekend because it wasn't on my property.

I am going to fix that before gun season. I will be trying this recipe along with the first two bags of corn I have ever purchased. Screw the neighbor. He makes accusations, I make sure the deer have a reason to cross onto my property. He fires towards my property while we are in the stand and I fire off 9-1-1. I can't wait to start watching the deer hanging inside the woods instead of walking his field edge. I will be implementing this very soon and let you all know how it works.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got my recipe mix. Ladies at grocery were unsure what anise was. I pronounced it "anus" and "a niece" unsure how to pronounce it myself. Either way, I will begin after dark to spray, dump corn, and add a camera. Screw the neighbors and trespassers. Go in during the day and I would chance bumping deer to them. Not gonna do it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm going to try this for muzzleloader this year...

Yep I think I'm going to try it too and hang a camera over it in the next week or so. Might even give me an excuse to finally run a trial of the Monster Raxx attractants too.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just pulled to camera cards. Wanted to check the corn before the weekend. Wanted to know if the spray was a good attractant or not. I had 2 different deer in on 2 cameras (both observing the same small area) since Monday night. The fact there has been a ton of activity from gun hunters/trespassers in the last couple weeks already had the deer off their "normal" behaviors.

Initial thoughts: It didn't draw in deer from all around like a peep show at a Redneck Rally. Then again, gun season has things thrown off. I think as the dust settles over the next several weeks and we move into the late season, things might be different. One other interesting note: I could still catch a whiff of it in the air as I drove back to where I sprayed it. It has been 2 days and we did have a light skift of snow to water it down a little.