Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Split Brow buck is kicking my A$$

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I have decided this year it would have to be a heck of a buck to get me to shoot if it isnt the Split Brow buck. So far he is definitely winning this season. I have been able to pin down more of his travel routes than any year before and get more pics in different areas but I have yet to get a glimpse of him. He has a huge route he takes and spends more time on the neighbors property than I would like (that would be any) :) I thought my chances were going to be really good earlier and once they picked the cornfield on his ridge I was pretty excited. Then they knifed in pig manure in the field and it shut the deer activity down to about 10 percent. I also spent a number of days filming my son trying to shoot him during the early youth season. There is only one spot that he shows up every camera check and that is the pond where I have gotten my best pic of him. I have sat from dark to dark on every hunt that I can hoping that is the day he comes back for a drink. It does make for a long day when the deer activity is down so much because this is right off the corn field with the pig manure. My son has sat with me for 6 days dark to dark and has passed a couple of 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old 8 pointers so atleast he is gaining so valueable hunting lessons and learning that it isnt always walk in the woods and shoot a deer. Here is the best pic of Split Brow so far and the smaller of the two 8 pointers that posed for the video camera for my son.

Lundy

Hang in there.

The buck I wanted to kill last year took me forever to lay eyes on him. I had hundreds of pictures of him but it took me 11 days of dark to dark hunting during the gun seasons to finally see him with my own eyes.

The only area that I felt I could kill him from was not a high deer density area so many of those days were 1or 2 to just a few deer sightings per day. That made it tougher because there were other areas on the farm where 20-30 deer day sightings are and were commonplace.

The deer I killed was no where near as big as the one you after. I can tell you that there was for me a personal satisfaction in getting it done but also a little sadness in getting to know one deer so well and then after it was over thinking now what am I going to do without this deer to think about all day.

Good luck