Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My 11/3 thru 11/11 Hunt

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
My first morning (11/3) proved to be exciting. It was about dawn and I a truck immediately stopped on the road and just sat there. I stood right up cause I knew something was about to enter the woods. Not knowing what or which deer was coming in. I saw a body enter the woods, I couldn't make it out exactly at first, but holy smokes it was big. I finally get a better look at it 40 yds away from me. No shot, too many trees. It was the buck I missed last year. Except he added INCHES! He jumped from a 155" buck to I can almost guarantee a 165-170 10 pointer. Perfectly symmetrical with G2s and G3s at least 14" tall brows that were almost as high. I started shaking immediately. He wasn't cruising, he wasn't nose to the ground, just strutting through with a basket 8 in tow. He starts to act like hes gonna turn towards me, I reach for my bow and he turned off the other direction into the thicket headed towords the acorn flat where my other stand is. (figures right). I sat there just shaking my head wondering if I was ever going to see that ghost again. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. I think I saw another basket rack and a small spike.

Sunday (11/4) I sit back in the bottom in hopes that the big guy will make another appearance. Only thing I saw that morning was a doe that was a little bigger than a dog, and a spike. So I move up to my upper stand on the acorn flat. I got skunked up there that evening.

Monday (11/5) I sat up on the acorn flat in the morning hoping that something would be cruising around looking for love. I stayed up there the whole day. Not one deer.

Tuesday (11/6) I decided I would go back into the bottoms from not seeing any action on the acorn flat the night before. At 8:30 am a couple spikes came through. One bedded directly behind me about 3 rows into the corn. I watched him eat for an hour before coming back out and working his way past me to the back of the property. Sat until dark in that spot and didn’t see a deer the rest of the day.

Wednesday (11/7) I got back into the bottom stand. At this point its frosting in the mornings and I am thinking here we go. A good frost should get them moving. The morning was quiet and boring. At 10:30 I hear a crash and a bunch of splashing, I stand up to see a 125-130 buck dogging a doe right under me in the creek bed and out and gone. They were going 100mph. I just stood there scratching my head. From that happening, I decided to stay right where I was. I saw nothing the rest of the day.

At this point I am wondering where to sit, what to do, why am I not seeing much movement. I sat in my dads stand, my acorn flat stand, back in the bottoms, NOTHING!

Friday morning my buddy Dave wanted to come down, he took the day off with the plan to hunt. He has been hunting down there with me for the last 5 yrs. At 6:45 I hear the crossbow sound. I shoot him a text and ask him if he shot something. I immediately get a text, “ I shot a good buck”. I said AWESOME!, wait till 7:30 and we will go look. I ended up finding his deer about 150 yds away piled up as he he was headed for the corn. Good thing he expired where he did or we never would have found him.

The rest of the weekend was movement free, I got a text sat morning as I was with the family that they were cutting the corn down. That got me fired up. The frustrating part of all this was I finally figured out I was missing the boat the whole time. They were running the opposite corner from the whole week! So now my plan is to go in tonight, hang a new set and hunt that from here on out. It should, SHOULD prove positive!

It was just a frustrating week for me. I can’t believe I was wasting all that time on the wrong side of the woods, and then the biggest kick in the pants, my buddy being in there kind of one that side of the woods shooting a buck. I am happy for him, and I made sure I got involved in the process of tracking, dragging, taking pictures, etc.

I learned a lot though; and I HATE standing corn during the rut!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Get out there now that the corn is cut, and hang an observation stand. Put yourself in a spot where you still might get a shot, but where you have a good vantage point. Sit back and watch, see what the deer are doing, how they are acting, where they are coming from. Make your move later in the week or this weekend.

Good luck buddy and stick with it. Good things will happen!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Here is the buck my buddy shot Saturday. Pretty good buck. Mid 120s i think.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352750409364.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352750409364.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 88
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352750467375.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352750467375.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 109

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice buck for your buddy. Congrats to him. Hang in there Wayne. You have a cheering section here! Best of luck. I would love to see you holding the rack of the one you missed last year. Redemption. Good word for you this season!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I ended up not getting to go last night, I had to stay at work till 5:15. By the time I wold have gotten down there it would have been dark. My plan has changed to tomorrow afternoon now. the boss will be in jury duty so i can come in early and sneak out of work early around 3:30. That should give me enough time to get the stand up and sit down and see whats going on. My biggest fear is getting in there and busting deer out or having them walk in and bust me putting the stand up. This is a major travel route.

Any suggestions?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I ended up not getting to go last night, I had to stay at work till 5:15. By the time I wold have gotten down there it would have been dark. My plan has changed to tomorrow afternoon now. the boss will be in jury duty so i can come in early and sneak out of work early around 3:30. That should give me enough time to get the stand up and sit down and see whats going on. My biggest fear is getting in there and busting deer out or having them walk in and bust me putting the stand up. This is a major travel route.

Any suggestions?

Hang further away today, where you can still see the "major travel route," but to where you can still get in and safely hang without busting deer out. That is what I would do anyway.

I'm leaving work early the next three days. Right now, I'm not sure how early I will get to go, but the earliest will be 2:30. I start my seven day break thursday evening, and my plan is to be on the field edge every evening for the next three days. If I don't get off early enough to where I feel I can get in without getting busted, I will watch from a distance. I'm not necessarily worried about hunting these days, just being out there to see what is going on. If the field isn't being used much, Friday morning I will make a move to compensate for it. Right now the deer are either hitting the cut beans or the oaks. I need to figure out which it is, thus the reason for my three day scouting mission.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it pays off for you Wayne. You're time is coming!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
You too greg!..you and i both are over due for a slammer!

The upper right corner where the buck symbol is, is where I want to hang my stand. I would like to be able to shoot the field or whatever comes through the woods.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352817682196.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352817682196.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 102

Milo

Tatonka guide.
hang in there wayne...i have been pinned down with a sick family for week plus...maybe tonight..