Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Youth hunt at Woodbury

ERIC1

I'm from Tennessee and will be taking my two sons, ages 14 and 16 to Woodbury for the youth hunt on Nov. 17-18. They have both been hunting deer for 7 years and have taken over 30 deer between them. We have plenty of opportunity to shoot deer, but we are coming to Ohio to have an opportunity at a better quality deer than we would have in Tennessee.

I'm not looking for a Boone and Crockett size deer, but just a quality buck. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what part of Woodbury we may want to hunt? They will be using in-line muzzleloaders with a range of probably 125 yd. What should we expect as far as the number of hunters that weekend? Also, we are planning on camping in the campground at Woodbury. Does it normally fill up during this weekend?

As far as the hunting, what should we expect to see as far as number of deer? Will the rut still be going or will it be over?

Any information to help me plan this trip would be greatly appreciated.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I know some of the guys on here have been to Woodbury, so you should get some pretty good response on that part.

As far as the rut goes, you will definitely IMO seen some rutting action the 17-18. Some may be on lockdown but that doesn't mean the big boys won't be back up on there feet cruising for that late doe.

Best of luck to your sons!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Never actually been to Woodbury during Youth Season. But I did hear (True or not I would not know) that it is crazy with hunting traffic~~People everywhere you look. Good Luck

ERIC1

I know some of the guys on here have been to Woodbury, so you should get some pretty good response on that part.

As far as the rut goes, you will definitely IMO seen some rutting action the 17-18. Some may be on lockdown but that doesn't mean the big boys won't be back up on there feet cruising for that late doe.

Best of luck to your sons!

Thanks! I am trying to make this a great trip for us. Hopefully we get to see some action. Do grunt calls and rattling antlers work during the rut in Ohio? They aren't very effective in our part of Tennessee.

ERIC1

Never actually been to Woodbury during Youth Season. But I did hear (True or not I would not know) that it is crazy with hunting traffic~~People everywhere you look. Good Luck

I called the manager of Woodbury and he said that it wasn't nearly as bad as the open gun season, but we would see some other hunters. Hoping for the best. We will be hunting all day long on Saturday, so other hunters may push them towards us as they leave at lunch.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Thanks! I am trying to make this a great trip for us. Hopefully we get to see some action. Do grunt calls and rattling antlers work during the rut in Ohio? They aren't very effective in our part of Tennessee.

Both are effective, but it seems to be hit and miss in my area. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I always take them with me, you just never know!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I called the manager of Woodbury and he said that it wasn't nearly as bad as the open gun season, but we would see some other hunters. Hoping for the best. We will be hunting all day long on Saturday, so other hunters may push them towards us as they leave at lunch.

On public land rattling and grunting you're likely to attract more hunters than deer. I would take along a grunt call and use it if you see one walking away. But I wouldn't just blindly rattle and grunt. Good luck and kill a big one.