Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dead mornings

Ricer2231

Just had a decent 8 go cruising by under the stand but just not big enough. I got a lot of days in the stand yet and I know there are bigger ones roaming around.

Ricer2231

Haven't seen a shooter since Wednesday, but like I said I know they're here. Two dinks and two does so far this morning. I know one thing, that rain we got last night sure quieted the woods down a lot.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My buddy only saw a spike this morning from the same stand he saw 9 different bucks from yesterday. Same old shit, it just starts to get good and we get a warm spell.

Huckleberry Finn

Misery loves company.

Bumped my buddy the spike buck this morning, which to be honest with this the last good weekend to kill a deer (youth next wkend) with a bow, if given a shot, he'd get an arrow. Taking one with my bow this year would mean more than the antlers...just haven't seen crap.

Had a coyote run through at 50 yards this morning and 15 minutes later come back in. He came up to the field edge at 25 and just as I thought he was going to walk into my shooting lane, darted into the corn field. Decent sized with a light colored coat, would have been a redeeming moment had I got to sling an arrow!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well crap ....

I had the best plan for this morning & it worked, except for one thing. I woke up during the night to thunder & pouring rain, so I wasn't thrilled about the alarm being set. After it did go off later, I had to lay there & think about getting up for over a half hour. Well I did, I had my shower & when I stepped out at 6:30am, the skies were clear. All I was going to do was sit out in my ground blind a small bit behind the house for a few hours. At 8:15, the biggest buck I've seen yet was coming at me at 10 yards. Due to the soft leaves, I never heard him coming & its amazing he could even get thru that thicket just the same. I would have had a better shot if I was in my yard since thats where he cut thru. Anyway, he stopped when he may have seen me turn my head, but after a bit he turned to the right & headed to cut thru an opening into my neighbors yard. That's when I shot using my crossbow . All I could find was patches of bright white hair on the ground & stuck to the sapling directly behind. No blood. Not even on the bolt. Upon closer inspection there was cut off briar or something in front that caused a deflection perhaps. I thought this would be a sure score. Had I used my compound, I would be picked off moving. Ughhhhh.

Last edited:

brock

Good experience anyway, Kevin. Get him next time! Mason and I saw two bucks. No shots fired. Slow right now.

Ricer2231

Time for a midday break. Haven't had one in awhile.
My thoughts exactly. Just got back in the tree after a bite of lunch and to the enjoyment of seeing Northwestern take the ball down the field and score on Michigan. Now if I could just get Big Daddy to walk by all would be good.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I just got a text that i have been waiting for. The corn on my property is finally coming down. Ill be in the woods tomorrow morning and as much as i can till i shoot a buck.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I didn't see nothing this morning . Hunting a different spot. . Much as I hate to say it I think the mature deer are locking down. Seen 2 yesterday standing over bedded does in out of the way places. . Then today while grabbing a bite to eat seen 2 more with does. One was standing over her and the other was just standing by her while she fed in a wide open field. This was 130ish.

Ricer2231

Well finished the evening with two does being chased by a spike. I hate to admit it but I think you're right Carpn, I too think they're locked down. But on the brighter side after they breed the one they're locked down on they gotta find another.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Saw a good one tonight . Only deer I saw. But he got me excited. He wouldn't respond to grunts snort wheeze , or can call. But he didn't spook either. He was 150+ .

Ricer2231

I've had my own Evercalm this morning, a combination of 10 does and fawns but no bucks. I know one thing I am sure glad to see that colder weather moving back in for next week my evening yesterday was really dead.