Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dead mornings

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I arrived at my new stand site at 6 am after applying Evercalm to my boots & a 1/2 hr later, a deer came in fast sniffing & looking around. There was a tree in front of me at 6 ft & he came right up to it & peeked around . I couldn't tell if it had antlers, but as he was walking away, I could certainly smell him. About an hr later, 4 does were cutting my trail about 60 yards behind me when they turned & left. An hr or so after that, a big doe was checking the same spot where the other does were & got spooked. She & two others I didn't see at first took off with their flags flying & ran back the way they came. So that leaves me wondering if the does are acting as if a buck is nearby & since they're not ready, they get nervous. Nothing happened after that & I decided to take the stand down. I was gonna put it where the does were coming thru, but some kid is hunting closer to that area & I didn't want to mess it up for him, even though he wasn't there, so I had a sandwich back at the truck & went home.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I havent seen one doe except for the one getting pushed yesterday. In 6 days!

This is whats killing me. All that ag is corn.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352398000374.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352398000374.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 75

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Been TOO busy to update till now. He had a solid 140 class 9 point come in from behind him over his right shoulder walking a brushy thick bench out about 50 yards and closing at a steady pace. As he reached for his binos the buck froze and looked up at him. He boogered and bounded down through some thick brush all the while snorting.
Although Ron is somewhat dejected he's not down. He slipped down to a TC camera he had out for a few weeks and was excited to not only find THAT buck on it but 2 other shooters as well as a solid 130 class 8. The stud of all studs he captured on film is a solid 160 class 10 point along with another solid 140 class 8 point.
With this renewed optimism he is back up in a tree in the near vicinity. Hope one of the shooters shows up later today, but if not he's in it for the long haul. We'll see...

Ricer2231

I had a very busy morning this morning, just no shooters. I have seen a total of 13 deer so far and my best time yesterday was about an hour before dark. I saw three deer that were far enough away that I didn't get a good enough look at them to tell what they were. But besides that I have had three does and seven different bucks in so far. The biggest of the bucks, maybe 110" was bird dogging a doe and the rest of the dinks were just cruising. I saw one definite shooter at about 4:00 yesterday so hopefully him and his lady friend will be back around this evening. :)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ron moved to the big open woods a couple hundred yards from this mornings action. Got skunked but will be back at it tomorrow at first light.

epe

Lancaster
Just had a BIG 10 run across the road on front of me...The semi in front of me had to slam on his brakes to keep front hitting him... He was hauling ass...

Ricer2231

Absolute beautiful morning. Wishing little Debbie doe would bring her boyfriend by so I could meet him. It's been dead calm here all morning just need some deer movement.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Had a real wide buck come by like a beagle with his nose down. He snuck through the thick stuff and wouldn't stop for nothing. Then had a buck shortly after go the further out in the thicket the opposite way. May have been the same one as it was 5 minutes apart but I couldn't see the second one real well. First one may have circled.

I think the first one was getting popped if he was close. He looked purdy.

epe

Lancaster
Had a real wide buck come by like a beagle with his nose down. He snuck through the thick stuff and wouldn't stop for nothing. Then had a buck shortly after go the further out in the thicket the opposite way. May have been the same one as it was 5 minutes apart but I couldn't see the second one real well. First one may have circled.

I think the first one was getting popped if he was close. He looked purdy.

Can you sit all day? We had bucks come back thru two hours after the first trip on Tuesday morning....

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Deader than a door nail this afternoon. Hell, I had better activity early in the week! I put Boss Buck away and headed for another stand in a thick ass bedding area. Wind is a little hard but helluva good place. Only a couple of shooting lanes, but surely a pig is in here! Iam ready for some cloud cover. Over cast days are my favorite.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I had an appointment this morning so I couldn't go. Around 845 the girlfriends sister gave me a call and said there was a buck on the side of the road hurt real bad. It was only 4 miles from the house and I figured someone had hit it so I put the pistol in the truck to go put it out of its misery. When I got there there this little eight point was standing on the side of the road. Both eyes swollen shut, slobbering and soaking wet. I told her I couldn't shoot him as he'll be fine when the swelling goes down. He just got his butt whipped.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No action for me this morning, well other than having to get down & doo doo. Of course that's when you hear deer running, but at least I made it in time....lol. I did mosey around down the slope later after I kept falling asleep & saw a tail waiving. Last evening, as I was going up the same tree @ 4:30, there was a wide 8 pointer making a scrape 60 yards below me. He didn't have much mass though & of course he wasn't having any of my grunts or bleats. I was just checking my cams out behind the house & there's a new BIG rub across from my ground blind .... I think I'll sit out there in a few hours & then again in the morn ... if I have TOO.