Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 trail cam stuff

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The in-laws have a few trailcams that they set up in a few locations from time to time but nothing serious. I want to get more serious about it so I wanted to place them in some specific spots. We placed 2 on some new land they bought just last year. The first one we placed was looking right at a creek crossing that has a trail down to the mud almost year round. That camera didn't work and we got not a single picture on it. The next camera we placed overlooking a trail coming up into the pasture next to the cornfield. This camera through the set up of my f-inlaw took video (his mistake) but we got a few does and a couple of nice "grower" bucks including the one who's picture I'm attaching. He pulled the one camera (that worked) and just switched memory cards on the one that didn't. Today I went out with my son and pulled the one that wasn't working completely. The creek crossing trail immediately splits and one part of it goes up and combines with 2 other trails to come into another corner of the pasture next to the cornfield so I placed a different one to get where thoes trails come together. The other camera I put back up in the same spot.

Looking forward to slowly purchasing some more cameras. Also, what sort of locations do you all like to place the cameras in?

The photo is a screencap of one of the bucks we caught. Its a nice 8 point that has some definite potential if he lives through the year. There are some supposed pigs on the property that my father in law and brother in law see while doing their farming but I've never seen one of them. The running joke is that's b/c the deer know I will shoot and kill them whereas when they have been seen by others that hunt the farm its normally the people who are not as known for putting deer on the ground, just good at slinging lead.

Attachments

• deer1.jpg
    deer1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 116

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Here are some pics from a trail cam put ini the woods behind the in-laws house. These are the woods I normallly just squirrel hunt in and but will occasionally sit in depending on who's hunting where around the farm. The reflection that looks like eyes behind the deer are windows from a house about 200 yards away. He's a young buck but wow he has promise I think.

What do you think happened to the brow tines? got broke while fighting?
What age do you think he is?HUNT0003.jpgHUNT0004.jpgHUNT0005.jpgHUNT0006.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
2.5??? Kind of hard not seeing his side profile but that's my quess.....

That's what I was thinking as well. The only side profile shots were out of focus and behind that tree you see in those pics. Howevr with the young face, and the lack of mass in the neck that's why I am thinking 2.5.

Gordo

Athens County
Id bet he never had brows to begin with.

He's prob 2.5.

He's got some great potential, but will never have long brow tines.

Nice pics! Keep'em coming!