Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Exciting day

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow what a day. I set my phone alarm for 5:00AM but since the time change it didn't go off and I woke up at 5:45AM. I rush around and leave the house at 6:15 for the walk to my woods outback.
I got a creek to cross and I get a wet foot (new boots coming). But no real problem as I brought my small propane heater along to dry my foot off.
I get to my pasture gate and my 2 bull are laying in front of it. They really didn't want to move but they did.
I loose my sweater in the pasture about 50 yds from where I cross over the fence.
I get in my tower and smoke up.
About 8:00 my wet foot is getting cold. My damn heater won't light and I used 3 books of matches all day and it never did fire up. I will use my backup heater next time.
Slow all morning.
At 9:45AM is see a large bodied deer about 150 yds away walking out of my neighbors picked corn field. I only see it about 3 steps before it's behind the brush.
About 10 minutes later I see legs in the brush walking North beside of the big deer trail going North to South. A nice 30 yd shot. I softly grunt couple times but nothing. Couple minutes later a monster 10-12 point buck steps unto the trail about 50 yds North of me. I grunt and he stops and wags his tail then starts walking again. I grunt again and the the same thing. At about 75 yds the brush starts again and I grunted again and he stops for the longest time and turns to the left.
I have a NE shooting lane about 50 ft away and he crosses that and gets to my North shooting lane and he turns and walks straight to me. At about 45 yds he takes one step and he is gone into the brush. I have a West shooting lane about 75 yds away but he never crosses that.
After 10 tough minutes later I rattled and I see a smaller buck run across my West shooting lane about 100 yds away. Never seen the monster buck again.
About 2 minutes after I seen the monster for the last time a small doe follows him into the brush. And I thought surely she would bring him out. But no she came to my West shooting lane and messed around for the longest time. This West lane is only about 8 ft wide as I cut it through the thick brush as a walkin lane. With all the traffic on it I need to widen it. I shot my doe on it 3 weeks ago.
At 11:05 I have a mature doe at 30 yds in my West lane about 5 yds from where I shot my doe at. She browes for couple minutes and goes into the brush and come out in my SW shooting lane and moves SW. But while she is there another mature does steps into the West Lane in the same spot and browes for at least 10 minutes. Then she goes to the SW lane and I am watching her and I'll be damn a nice shooter buck steps across the West walking lane at 30 yds. 2 steps and he is in the brush. He comes out on the SW lane and crosses at about 50 yds. I grunt when he enters the brush. In 15 ft he will be at my tractor path and if he turns left he will come right in front of my stand at 30 yds. If he turns right I will see him leave the wood. Well he didn't turn either way and left my woods.
30 minutes later I have a doe enter the woods from where they left before but nothing followed her and I never seen her again after she got in the brush.
Nothing the rest of the day except a flock of about 20 turkeys for 3 hrs in the woods. Something scared them about 3:30 but at 4:00 they or a differant flock of 17 are back.
At 4:30 my cattle are raising hell on the other side of the farm and no ones home to call and I haven't seen them since Thursday. I get down and go in. The cattle was OK when I got there.
Oh I got a wet foot crossing the creek on the way home too.
Differant boots and a differant heater tommorrow.
Overall a real exciting day.
Frank

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys. Didn't someone say there is hours of boredom and seconds of excitement?
I'll be back in the morning. Ya that damn wet sock was cold all day to.
If it was gun season my 44 mag would have ruined that bucks day I am here to tell you. He would make a great #24 handgun deer. He would place well in the Handgun International Deer Contest I am in every year.
But I would perfer to get my 1st bow buck.
Frank

Last edited:

badger

*Supporting Member*
As Riverdude stated, I felt like I was there...even the wet foot part!

Really enjoy your updates Frank, and I wish you the best of luck (and dry feet) on your next outing.:smiley_coolpeace:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Your a goodn' Frank. I TOO felt like I was there even with the wet sock. That is something you don't quickly forget. Your in the spot......... Hoping to see you with a dandy in the next few days!....Good Luck Team mate!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can envision the whole thing. I picture a scene from "Grumpy Old Men" except there is only one guy there. Now don't take this wrong. I don't picture YOU as a grumpy man but I can picture you in the blind thinking "You dang deer. Just turn this way so I can shoot you and go home to fetch some dry socks."

Exciting day Frank. Glad to see you are enjoying the bow hunting!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well today was kinds dead. I used differant boots today and I got 1/2 way to my stand and i wonder why they are so sloppy. I forgot to put the felt liners in and I'm not going back. Big mistake as now all I have on is rubber boots and man did my feet get cold.
I got into the woods and I know where I am going right as it's my wood and trail. Wrong. I tripped over a root and fell flat on my face and bow. Even knocked the lens out of my glasses. Ever see a blind man looking for a lens in the dark. Not pretty and out come the flashlight. I wised up and used it all the way in.
At 8:10 a small 4 pt walks through at 35 yds. That was kinda neat as he stopped on the very spot my gtrandson shot his 1st deer at 9 pt 3 yrs ago. That brought back fond memories. Never even picked the bow up. But I was hoping for a bigger buck might be following him But no.
At 8:30 I seen a deer about 150 yds in the neighbors corn field walking the other way. Looking through my tree tops I only see it about 4 steps and it was in the shade and that was it.
Nothing the rest of the day. About 12:30 I notice a bunch of mud on my sight barrel. Damn that from when I fell this morning. So I packed up to back to the hose to shoot the bow and check the sights.
I will set in my ground blind near the house tonight as there is a good trail there. And it's only a 150 yrd walk.
Frank