Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pulled the trigger this morning...

jeremy44230

Medina County
Thought I shot something? Nope!

Bought a camera arm and camera finally! Been wanting to for some time now so I said screw it and did it this morning.

I got an Oaksturdy semi-pro arm that comes with a fluid head. At least a starter head... If it doesn't feel right, I'll upgrade some other time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352042462.389191.jpg

Then I bought a Canon Vixia HF R30. Seems like a good deal from amazon...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352042521.837836.jpg

Now, over the next few moths, I'll accessorize it with some extras... Open to suggestions and/or tips.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I do minimal filming. I really don't "film my hunts" but rather I film while i am out hunting. You may never see me self film a kill shot. However, if you see a buck out 1-200yds and I am hunting, I will pull the camera out of my pocket to video. As soon as he is moving towards me I am done filming.

Here is what I know based on my limited experience. A second battery is a must. If self filming you might need more. Some of the others would know better than me. I know the little wireless remote control is handy. I added an additional mic with fuzzy wind cover on it. It helps when I am whispering into the camera. (yes, the whispering makes my wife laugh and she makes fun of it.) However, it does reduce the wind noise and the mic also pics up better than the one on the camera. I saw your camera has internal memory of 8gb. If it has the ability to use SD cards, make sure to buy a few large ones as well. Doesn't take long to fill them up. This is especially true if filming 1080.

Lundy

Congratulations,

I purchased a camera last year just after Christmas to take to the woods with me.

I purchased a cannon Vixia HMF40 because of it's low light capability. I was not disappointed in the performance. I put a short video in the gun hunting forum here last January taken with the new camera. The 9 point in the video was around 50-55 yds at 5:00 PM in the woods with little light left. Take a look.

Good luck

jeremy44230

Medina County
Congratulations,

I purchased a camera last year just after Christmas to take to the woods with me.

I purchased a cannon Vixia HMF40 because of it's low light capability. I was not disappointed in the performance. I put a short video in the gun hunting forum here last January taken with the new camera. The 9 point in the video was around 50-55 yds at 5:00 PM in the woods with little light left. Take a look.

Good luck

Thanks man, actually watched your video before I made the purchase. Loved it. Also watched several on YouTube that were filmed with Vixia's.

I won't let this filming thing prevent me from shooting a buck, maybe a doe. Hope it will be as fun as I am hoping.

Since I got my buck, I will focus on filming for others and hopefully another deer for me on film! I'm excited!

gavennn

I have tried myself. It is not easy filming and hunting all yourself. You need a dedicated partner who doesnt mind switching it around to make it work well.