Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My First Deer

BGarrett

Belpre
This is my 3rd year deer hunting and my first deer. I am still amped up about it. I knew, just knew that yesterday would be the day. I mainly hunt at my in-laws in Morgan County. This past week they had a cousin come in from Kansas to hunt. He saw 14 deer and missed 3 different times. I have hunted out there for 3 years and hadn't seen 14 deer total. I got off work at noon and headed straight to the woods. I got in the ladder stand at 1:30 and watched a dozen or so tree rats for the next 4 hours. Then it happened.

I heard leaves crunching directly behind me. I managed to get turned around only to see a damn raccoon start climbing a tree, but the noise continued and then she emerged coming at me rom 40 yards. I watched to doe start walking away from me following a creek bed, but she decided to cross and head back my way. I had my crossbow up and ready. The doe got closer and decided to stop right behind a cluster of trees. All I could see was her rear, Fugg. I kept telling her to walk up the path, just walk up the path. She must have heard me and did just as instructed. Broadside at 20 yards, let it fly and saw her rear legs kick. I saw my arrow on the ground right behind her and thought I missed for a split second. She walked about 10 feet and started wobbling. I watched her fall and within 3 minutes I watched her take her last breath. She didn't go 30 yards, double lunged.

I want to thank all you fellow TOOsers that post stories and tips. It really helps new hunters like myself. Best tip so far, Scent Smoker. First time I used it, first deer harvested. Coincidence? Maybe, but I will keep using it.

http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10968&d=1351988227

Ricer2231

Awesome story and congrats on your first kill. X2 on remembering my first kill like it was yesterday. This is a great memory you will have forever. Now the best of luck to ya in the future because you won't be able to get enough now!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I want to thank all you fellow TOOsers that post stories and tips. It really helps new hunters like myself. Best tip so far, Scent Smoker. First time I used it, first deer harvested. Coincidence? Maybe, but I will keep using it.

http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10968&d=1351988227

Congrats on your harvest, well done! And well done to you for sticking with it and not just giving up, that says something, alot actually!
And I'm right there with you about learning from these guys....if you don't have someone to coach you, this is the place to get the info you need.