Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

nothing goes my way.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Tonight I get up in stand sit from 200 till dark.

At 5 I have 2 or 3 does coming up from this bottom, one just stops and acts uneasy for several minutes before starting to blow then taking off. 5 mins after that I hear another deer blowing. I am atleast 30 feet about these deer probably more like 40, I smoked up before I left, I just dont get what I am doing wrong.

I have noticed that my coat, and pants (gortex) do no seem to hold the smoke smell really well, maybe this is the problem?

I wear rubber boots, and I did grab camera cards earlier, could the deer have smelt my track from earlier?

What you all think, wish the wind woudlnt shift on me every night !

at1010

*Supporting Member*
sounds like you got one of those smart ass nanny does, that know to look up. I know the feeling.

Hang in there bro, it'll happen.

thats what I am thinking she might have busted me before I even realized she saw me.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Some does are just smarter than you'd think. I've seen many blow for what appeared to be no reason at all!....Also, it can always be something that you did not see...as in the smell of a cat or coyote.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Have you been busted in that spot before?

Ask a few of the guys that have hunted with me, I have a super doe who I swear just senses your presence. Some of those old does are harder to kill than most bucks IMO.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Agreed Jesse. IMO a 4 year old doe is smarter than a 4 year old buck. They spend much of a year protecting their fawns and sensing predators. They get good at it. personally I think she caught movement. if she's busted you there before she will find a spot where she can poke her head around a bush or look through a hole in the brush right at your stand.

epe

Lancaster
I have a doe where I am hunting tonight that I swear is a super doe. Blows all the time, even unwind.. Me and dad are gonna try and take her ass out....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Have you been busted in that spot before?

Ask a few of the guys that have hunted with me, I have a super doe who I swear just senses your presence. Some of those old does are harder to kill than most bucks IMO.

No Jesse this was a different spot, I think you all are right must have caught my movement. I think this doe did this to me last year, she didnt blow at me tho, but she did stand on the loggin road let her fawns go under me, and wait for them to come back to her before she lead them another way.

This year she decided to blow like a BITCH!

I have loved smoke! I have had deer under me, down wind of me, but this year I have got caught moving (I think), more then any other year, resulting in deer blowing at me.

Not sure if they have winded me or not tho honestly.

Jesse what you were thinking of was LAST WEEK!! hahaha I never even saw that doe, but could tell she was close, same story, she came in an blew like hell. Must have seen me move!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got busted by a buck on Friday and when he came in the same place on Saturday he just sood around and looked. He never looked my way but he just left.
Now the smoke I am sure works. I have been smoking up after I get in my stand. This morning I walked in with yesterdays smoked colthes on. I had 3 does spend 15 minutes total feeding on my walkin lane and it never bothered them. I also had a buck cross my walkin lane and didn't bother him.
I will smoke up before walking in the morning from now on. I did have the Deer Calm herd out but they came on where near it.
Frank

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok after thinking about this, I have come to the conclusion I might hang a few new sets and just sit in them the night I hang them. What do you all think?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I got busted by a buck on Friday and when he came in the same place on Saturday he just sood around and looked. He never looked my way but he just left.
Now the smoke I am sure works. I have been smoking up after I get in my stand. This morning I walked in with yesterdays smoked colthes on. I had 3 does spend 15 minutes total feeding on my walkin lane and it never bothered them. I also had a buck cross my walkin lane and didn't bother him.
I will smoke up before walking in the morning from now on. I did have the Deer Calm herd out but they came on where near it.
Frank

Gotta smoke up before you go in. It helps cover your tracks as well.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I love surprise attacks! Nothing wrong with that at all. I've done it several times and had great encounters or had some kills. i use a climber for it, but whatever works for ya!

Yea I got a big farm I hunt and I use my climber a lot cause I never got the chance to scout it as good as I would have liked.

I am planning on just making a few suprise attaacks on my own place, just it is small acreage so I worry about pushing deer out, but sometimes might be worth the chance!

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I've noticed they tend to blow a lot more when they see you rather than smell you. I've had a lot of deer stop when they get downwind and just say somethin ain't right and go about their business another direction. When they see me though, they don't like that one bit...