Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The deer Gods hate me...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So I got ran out of my set up this morning on what I thought would be my best property by a neighbor who set up 60 yards from me. I pulled my set and went to my parents place for the rest of the morning. Before I got down for lunch, I flipped a coin to see if I should stay and the ruling was to come back.

I was back in the stand at 2:30 and around 3:30 the wind stopped coming from the NW and started back drafting to the SE. Now I have faith in the smoker, but my wind was now going in the same direction where all the bucks have come from this year and it made me a little nervous. A half hour later, I hear a deer running and throw the binos up to see a 140" 10 point on the edge of the field in my new "scent cone". He was coming on a string before he locked up on the edge of the field 60 yards out. The wind had died down and I really don't think he smelled me, but he sure didn't come in as hoped. Instead, he picked up the trail of a doe I saw before leaving for lunch.

After he left, the wind picked up and was still blowing in an easterly manner which is horrible for this set. So I decided to move to my ground blind so I didn't booger up any good bucks. Smart plan right? Fuck no.

Around 6 I notice the wind has died and I probably would have been safe had I stayed. I watched 3 doe fawns play around and shortly after they left, I caught movement on the trail near my stand that gives me a 25 yard quartering away shot. I saw a big body and some tines, so I grabbed my binos and nearly shit my pants.

There in all his glory on his hind legs with his rack in the scrape right in front of camera, is one of the biggest bucks I've seen in some time. Easy 140 and probably bigger as a 9 point. His 5 point side is that of a 150" 10. Tall, heavy, and a huge body. He'd have given me that 25 yard shot had I stayed in that stand.

So my drought continues. I've worked so hard and wanted it so bad for years and I just can't catch a break. It's going to make an old man of me right quick...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well, I guess at least you're seeing them Jesse.... I saw 10 doe today and not a antler near them...... Don't know what too think about that one..... If you're seeing them it's just a matter of time before you get one dialed in..... :smiley_coolpeace:

epe

Lancaster
Sorry to hear that.. Try not to over think it...I quit worrying about the wind years ago. Go with what feels right...

Fight fire with fire. If the deer gods hate you, hate 'em back. It works for me. :smiley_blink:

Otherwise, it's just Murphy's Law...the SOB. Keep after, bro and you'll win by attrition.
Attrition: A gradual, natural reduction in membership or personel as through retirement, resignation or death.

Bowhunter57

jeremy44230

Medina County
We all get these days where nothing seems to go right... As bad as they are, it helps us appreciate the good ones more, IMO.

Now, go put an arrow through a stud buck!!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Jesse, pardon my bluntness, but you really tend to brain fugg things. Just sit your ass in a stand for a day no matter what the wind is doing and enjoy nature and what it brings you.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I've been in these boots before.....and will again I'm sure. I used to be willing to fight about the wind direction and stand selection.......But what I do know now is......Fugg the wind and smoke-up until you can't stand the smell. Sit in the stand and enjoy another day above ground...."For just 5 more minutes"......

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sum bitch came back this morning, but was on a trail that wouldn't give me a shot. Grunted him in to 45 yards and never had a shot. I'm on the inside corner of a ridge top CRP field. He came to the edge where he could scan the woods below and froze. He was inside 60 yards for 20-25 minutes. Absolute hoss...