Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Da elusive buck deerz

Diablo54

Outside
I got one kinda sorta.....

I setup the other morning in a spot that we call the honey hole. It is a pinch point in some hardwoods on a farm we hunt. Kind of funny to think that of the 4 bucks that I have killed with a bow all of them were killed in this woods. Mind you that 3 were killed within 100 yards of each other. Anyways I got setup in my climber and had some time to sit in the dark waiting for the sun to come up. I said my hunting prayer and got nestled into my tree. The tree was almost to big for my climber but I managed to get it up the tree quickly (unlike Greg)lmao

Daylight came buy and my head was on a swivel.The leaves were wet so any deer coming would slip right in. It started to sprinkle and just as it did i saw rack coming my way. I had forgot my trusty binocs and felt naked without them but i didnt feel like walking all the way to the truck to get em. the buck is coming on a B line right at me from my left side. He comes in and eats some acorns off to my left at 10 yards. I half drew and realized it wasnt going to work because my limbs were going to hit the climber. I tried to stay patient and wait until he came to my front.he took a few more steps and was at my 10 oclock. I drew and released...My arrow hit a limb and went right over his back. He bounded off and blew a few times and went back to the brush......

More later

Diablo54

Outside
So after about 25 minutes of anger I looked to my left and another buck!! He came right in and did the exact same thing as the other buck. This one was a 120-125 9 point. nice buck but kind of spindly. He was standing right ontop of my arrow and I couldnt get my self to shoot. I was afraid of missing again. He stood there at 10 yards and then whipped his head up at me. He jumped out of his skin and ran off. Blowing like crazy at me. At this point i was pretty frustrated but thankful for the sightings. Just a few minutes later i caught movement from behind me.....

Diablo54

Outside
I can see a body but cant tell much because i didnt have my binos. Eventually it works its way right up to me and I can see its a button. didnt want to shoot him in the rain. So he got a pass. 10 rolls around and Im ready to get down but something tells me to wait until 10:30 So 10:30 comes around and I grab my bookbag and put it on. I grabbed my bow and wanted to shoot my squirrel arrow to try to make the same shot that i had missed the buck. As soon as I take my arrow off I see rack at 25 yards.

Diablo54

Outside
I renock my arrow and am desperatly trying to find something to do with my book bag. I cant take it off because he will see all the movement. So i clip it on so that it wont move when I go to shoot. The buck starts working his way to my right and away from me. I turn my head and snort wheeze. He does a 180 and comes back. He stops and works a scrape then proceeds down the hill right at me.

Diablo54

Outside
Here he comes at 10 yards broadside.. I release and the arrow hits in the guts. He bounds off and stops 50 yards away he starts swaying and licking his nose. I keep thinking he is going to fall or bed down he does neither. He acts like he has to muster his strength to even take a step. He peaks over the hill and I slip out. I come back the next morning 22 hours later with gordo and we start searching, After all the rain there is no blood to be found. I start walking where i think he went and see buzzzards! i get excited only to walk upon a dead doe. we grid searched for nearly 4 hours and then my dad showed up and helped as well. After about 7 hours of looking my dad and I called it quits for awhile.

Diablo54

Outside
This morning I went back to the same spot to hunt. Hoping to see buzzards or something off in the distance. I didn't see anything hunting or buzzard wise so I opted to get down. There is a house down the road 1/2 mile. I stopped and talked to the guy at the house about deer and what not for awhile. I mentioned that I had gut shot one and lost it. He perks up and says I know where that deer is. I didn't really pay much attention to him figuring he was joking. But he goes on about how he is pretty sure he knows where it is. I don't know if any of you watch duck dynasty but last week there was one where mountain man was fixing the AC and Willie gave him a sandwich and he ate as slow as could be. This was the guy I was talking to this morning as he said wait for me to finish my breakfast and I'll take ya over there.

Diablo54

Outside
It didn't matter that he ate slow because he pointed me right to it! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351969082.249772.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great read T! Sometimes hunts don't end up the way we hope they will. You had a great hunt and killed a real nice buck and it is etched into your memory. Way to keep after it. IMO, the yotes are thick in your area and prolly pushed him further making your recovery much tougher. It's a good thing you stopped by the neighbor. It's funny how things play out sometimes.

Congrats on your very nice trad buck!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Congrats on a great buck man. Sucks you didn't find him before the yote did but at least you did the right thing and tagged him in. Kudos to you my friend.