Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

smokin up first time

dangerousoldman

I cant believe that i washed all my hunting gear tonite in the "special" detergent and then took my clothes out and hung them over the smoker and put chips in the smoker. 40 years of experience deer hunting and I am doing what I have always been careful not to do. I generally would change everything before I got back to camp so it wouldnt get woodsmoke on it. I am just going on faith from all the posts I have read here and on oh sportsmn site. gonna feel weird smelling myself in the morning while in the stand. Never too old to learn I guess. I decided to try it after thinking about how close behind me a couple trails run before the converge into the trail going past my stand. Heck I would bathe in deer pee to get a shot at the boss....lol wish me luck....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
i know what you mean. I had to change also this year after 44 yrs. But after today of a small buck coming from downwind and never knew I was there. I am sold on the smoke idea.
Frank

lung buster

hocking county
I know exactly what your saying. I bought a smoker about a month ago and just couldn't bring myself to use it until yesterday. I've spent 20 some years trying to stay as scent free as possible and yesterday i was coating everything with smoke. Will be smoking again in the morning, lol. Time will tell if im crazy i guess!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good stuff. Make sure you guys not only smoke your clothes but also yourself. Hands, hair etc. the smoke has antibacterial properties in it that kill odor causing bacteria.

badger

*Supporting Member*
I also am changing my train of thought after all these years. I smoked up the only time I made it out this year, and had a small buck come in downwind without smelling me.

The way I look at it, the numbers don't lie. There's too many people having success with the smokers to not give it a try.

dangerousoldman

well , just got in from hunting today. Had one within 6 or 7 yrds of my stand behind me. wasnt downwind but was pretty close. I couldnt get turned around on him but did try to turn my head to see what the heck kinda deer was making so much noise right behind me. Sounded like he was intentionally trying to break every branch and limb he came into contact with. One noisy ass deer. as i craned my head around the tree slowly he sppooked and took a couple bounds then just slowly walked off. Never blew or acted too spooked. Pretty sure he never got a whiff of me but just caught a little head movement. I was ghillied out and blacked out so he didnt know what the heck i was i would guess. Cant complain about scent there. First time I ever smoked up. Jury is out but not complaining. moving the stand tomorrow for a better vantage point i think.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
6-7 yards and pretty close to down wind long enough to tear up a bunch of branches? I'd say he was smelling smoke but what spooked him was the movement. One thing about smoking up is movement becomes critical if you aren't very high. The deer will often take a moment and look for the smell, they'll raise their head and get a big whiff, look around, then do it again. Rarely do they do this for more than a minute though. Then it's a tail wag and they go on about what they were doing because they dont see the smell as a potential threat. Which is good. Because if you hadn't smoked up odds are that deer would smell you and not smoke. But if you move while they're looking around and you aren't high enough they'll catch you.

lung buster

hocking county
Had 2 small bucks in front us this am for a long time and they never knew we were around. To early for me to say that the smoke worked but i know that it didn't hurt lol. Looking forward to more "testing" to ease my mind.
Funny thing my boy said when we were smoking, " this is making me hungry, i want a hot dog",lol.