Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

dantes monster

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
This morning started out with my wife telling me I had to get to the bank today. With that in mind i pretty much said screw it and slept in. After taking care of that I was faced with a dillema, I was thinking about checking out a spot on some public land a coworker had told me about, but I also wanted to sit a spot that has been in the back of my mind for a while now. I opted to sit the local spot because I figured if I was to shoot one on the public, I would play hell getting it drug out. Would rather buddy hunt that some other time.

This spot is actually a couple hundred yards from one of redclouds stands. His stand is on a brushy travel route that leads into a big open flat. i wanted to sit in the flat because it offers a great view of pretty much everything around it. He hasnt been seeing anything from that stand and I was determined to figure out where they are working through.

I had to cross a creek along the way, and as I stepped through the brush on the opposite bank i spotted a deer moving away from me along the edge of a pasture. It wasn't spooked so I just waited until it entered the woods and was out of sight before continuing.

Along the way, I spotted numerous scrapes that have been worked recently. some of which have some decent sized tracks in them. There are a couple nice bucks out there, Either redcloud or myself should be able to get one of them.

I got to the open flat without bumping anything, and after a little looking around, found a cluster of 4 trees right in the middle of the flat. The smallest of which was the perfect size for my climber. the other three offered a fair amount of cover.

I climbed up to about 25 feet, hung my bow and was just sitting down with my range finder to get some yardages to a few landmarks, when I heard leaves crunching to my left. I turned to see a deer coming up from behind and to the left of me, on a path to go past me and right straight out in front of me.I thought it was a nice fat doe as it trotted by at about 30 yards. It stopped in some brush and fiddle farted around for a few minutes before continuing on its way. then to my amazement it stopped and turned, completely broadside, right in front of me, in the only clear lane I had in that direction, and started to nibble at some multiflora branches.

O.K.....

...If your gonna make it easy...

I still hadn't checked yardages, so I guessed it was at least 35 yards possibly more. I drew back, put my 30 yard pin behind its shoulder and let one fly...

...THWACKKK...

It dropped where it stood.

WTF.. there is no way I spined it... It was at least 35 yards. i got the range finder out and sure enough it was at 39 yards. shot should have been plenty low.
As I watched I realized it was moving all 4 legs, it wasn't spined. But it couldn't get up. What the hell did I hit?!

After about 15 - 20 minutes it stopped moving, and as I was watching it through the binos I realized it was actually a button. Fine with me.

I got down and went to check it out. it was laying on the impact side, and I didn't see an exit, but there was blood everywhere. Was a freakin horror show.
I flipped it over to see my arrow still in its side, in the exact spot I was aiming.

The shot broke 2 ribs, got both lungs and punched through the opposite shoulder which is what stopped the arrow from passing completely through. Turns out there was a small exit in front of the shoulder. When it flopped over it broke the arrow off and I thought the broadhead was still in it. It must be laying out there somewhere in the blood bath, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

Pics coming next.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Now that sign is funny!!!! Congrats Dave on the venison in the freezer.... And points on the board!!!!!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great stuff Dave!! Always enjoy your write ups & that picture is a classic. rotflmao

But wait, I thought you were only using 20 yard pin?