Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

All day valueable lessons

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I did a all day hunt today and learned some lessons the hard way.
6:00AM got up
6:50 left the house and drove to my neigbors
7:15 in blind. Started up the smoker and smoked everythung real good and left the smoker burn out in the corner. That took about 30 minutes.

Left the blind at 6:45PM

Lesson 1. Don't setup a ground blind and don't get into the blind and set in the chair and look around. I had a decent 8 pt. come past me at 9:00AM to find out I had about 50 thistle weeds and I couldn't see my sight post for the weeds.

Lesson 2. Grunt to stop a slowing moving deer. Being a gun hunter I never had a problem with slowing walking deer. I forgot to grunt to stop him and couldn't get setup in the weeds at 15 yrds. I made a noice shifting in my seat and he busted out. Sorta glad he did as I hope to do better buck.

Lesson 3. My batteries on my sight are out and I can't find replacements. Setting in a dark blind and you loose all light gathering help. I had a small cap bill light that I just taped now to the bow sight. Problem solved. Then I noticed that the filament for the 25 yd pin is broken and doesn't transmit the light anyway. So I moved the 30 yrd pin up.

Lesson 4. Look down wind. At 8:15AM I looked over my left shoulder that is downwind and had a small 6 pt. buck 50 ft away walking towards me and closing. I decided to pass on him anyway. I had him at 25 ft broadside in front of my blind and I got my camera for a picture. I forgot that camera does a ding-dong when turned on. He stamped his foot and just rather quickly walked away. I am a firm believer in the Smoke Scent trick. And the Calm Deer helps to. He never smelt me downwind.

Seen 3 bucks and 3 does up till 9:30AM and nothing the rest of the day till 6:45PM. Try again tommorrow.
Had a blast but the wife hasn't figured me out yet. And it's been over 48 yrs you would think she would have it figured out by now. But I work with her on it.

Frank

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys. I have learned alot on this site for the last 2 months.
FRank

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I sat in the same blind this morning. At 8:30 a squirrel started barking alarm east of my about 60 yds where the property line fence is. The same 8 pt I busted out yesterday is standing on the other side of the fence looking NW. Not even looking my way. After couple minutes he comes through the break in the fence and just stands there staring NW but I can see anything over there. He starts NW which away from me and get about 10 yds and staops and stares. The he turns jumps the fence and slowly runs away. I grunted but he wouldn't stop or turn around.Never did figure out what he was staring at as I saw nothing even with my binocs.
The blind will make a great 50-60 yd. pistol blind come gun season. I probaly will set my grandson up in it come Youth Season. Hopefully he can get grandpa a bonus point buck for the Contest.
Hopefully the wind shifts from the North so I can hunt my woods.
Frank