Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ZJ's 2012 Buck

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
For those that do not know: ZJ is my Special Hunting Buddy. ZJ is Autistic and one day said "I'd like to shoot me a deer" and the quest began. I have to help him, but he hunt's Really Hard and will stay as long as you let him. You will never find a more Grateful and Proud Hunter. With that being said, I bring you The Hunt of My Lifetime.

This Buck was my own target buck at the beginning of the season. But since I'm tagged out, I decided to try and let ZJ shoot this buck. Funny now, but it was sorta like playing the Lottery. You'd like to cash in, but have some doubts. But you can't win if you don't play? I put up a "smoked-up" blind on the 30th about noon and threw about 30 lbs of corn in the hayfield. We hunted that night but only seen 2 doe and a small buck as we exited the blind. The way I cut it into the weeds, we had a shooting lane and some vision to the left...but not much to the right. The deer were just a bit to the right. I wanted to hunt it the morning of the 31st but "Z" wanted to go to work. We agreed we would hunt in the evening instead. We got into the blind around 4:30 pm. The property next to ours recently had a Haunted Forest, Corn Maze and Petting Zoo going on for Halloween. The boy who owns the animals was about 300 yds away taking care of them. A goat got out and he was chasing it on a 4-wheeler. Raced around the pen about 7 times and was hollering at the goat. I was thinking "Get the damn goat in there and Go!" He finally left and things started to settle down. Just as the excitement started to build again, I heard something start up at the barn at that property. Here comes the young fella on a John Deere Gator with hay for the animals. And of course, he is talking extremely loud on a cell phone I believe. I thought he would NEVER leave this time......But finally, the Gator started and went to the barn. Only about 15 minutes had went by and I seen a doe run from left to right out about 80 yds. Just maybe the deer are getting used to the noise around here? Just about another 15 minutes went by and I seen horns behind the weeds. Dagger cdy_0058.jpg was coming in towards the corn and about 12 yellow apples I had dumped as they were going bad in the fridge. Just as I was thinking he would be a cool buck for Z to kill....ZJ coughed twice and Dagger was gone! I told him to try and not do that as he scared our deer off. I then gave him a drink to help the cough. "What Else Can Go Wrong Tonight?" I pulled my grunt tube out of my coat by the lanyard and the tube and reed had fallen out and was gone! I had the wooden sleeve and a lanyard.....was about to put it to my lips and say "Here Deer"..... I had just about had enough as so much seemed to be against us.

We had set there just about 20-25 minutes and I seen a does head through the weeds to the right. She came on in and started to nibble at the corn. She snapped her head up like three times looking behind her. Her ears were changing positions like she was trying to hear something. I seen movement behind the weeds and could barely see a brown spot approaching. The doe started eating again, so I just figured it to be another doe. Suddenly this huge set of horns came out from behind the weeds and I whispered for Z to get ready. The buck had this dandy rack, inside kicker tines, and a split tine also. It's my Target Buck! He was at like 5 o'clock in front of us...he sniffed the ground, went counter-clockwise around the doe and sniffed her butt on the way by. Once he got all the way around to like 6 o'clock, his right leg was over the vitals. I told Z to get ready and he started to pull the trigger...."No Wait" I whispered....the buck fully extended his neck to grab an apple but the apple rolled 3-4" away. He had to take a step to reach that apple. When he did, I said shoot! ZJ hit the trigger and I watched the arrow disappear behind the front leg. The buck bronco-kicked and took off! I just knew it was a dead deer. I told him that buck was a Dandy he just shot and he wanted to call Mom.

We called Diane to tell her the news and even called several others saying it was definately a done deal. Went to the house to give it a little time and called the son in law to help drag one out. Didn't find the arrow, but no big deal right? Found blood in 20 yds or so and it was good. Then came the rain....blood was fading fast. I kept thinking, he's got to be right here somewhere. We seen 2 doe walking around the woods like we were not a threat. While shining the light on one of them, I seen a set of eyes near the ground. I walked up on then to about 15 or 20 yds before I seen the rack....Damn it! He's alive! I froze and did not move. The deer had a hard time of getting up finally. He then just stood there like 3 minute sorta wobbling and looking drunk. He finally looked at me again and when his head turned, it led the way for his body to follow. He sorta wobble-trotted towards the creek. We marked his last trail fairly well and then walked to an old fence and marked it TOO. We left to try and sleep on it.

ZJ was optimistic but I was a wreck. "How could this happen with such a good hit?" I tried to sleep but just as I finally started to doze off, I got leg cramps and had to get up. After walking around the house, I'd lay back down and start thinking about the deer again. This happened 3 times and it is now 3 am and I am exhausted! Finally fell alseep around 4 and the alarm went off at 6. I no more got up and ZJ got up also. He was extremely quiet today and kept pacing around. Every time I mentioned something about looking for the deer, he'd say "want me to get my shoes now?" He wanted to go as bad as I did.

We waited until about 9:30 and it was good and light out. Once we found the last blood spot, all the blood was gone! And there was a bunch of it also! I tried to follow the tracks, but so many different trails and tracks EVERYWHERE! I had no choice but to start a path East to West. When I got to the boundary, we moved down about 5-8 yds and headed the other way. We had made like 5 trips nervously across this property and was standing at a scrape next to a creek. By the scrape, I seen deer tracks that looked like it as slipping in the mud....But they were in different directions? "Something musta went on here" I thought.

I then looked over my left shoulder and seen a brown lump in the vines...but no rack. As I got closer, I seen this nice set of horns. I told Z it's a buck! He said "is it my buck?" I said "I'm not sure yet" As I got closer, I seen the inside kickers and the split G3..."ZJ it's your Buck!" He started clapping and said "How big is it?" After counting everything I said "Son, you just shot a 15 point buck and I've never done that!" He said "The biggest buck of my life....my first 15 pointer" I remember thinking "Your FIRST ONE?....You expecting a few more of them?"....LOL....... We celebrated and admired the Best Deer of BOTH of our lives. A few phone calls were made, and then the work started.

Every bit of work and the 80-some yard drag to get within 4-wheeler range was extremely worth it. Z decided he was gonna drag awhile........ He weighs like 117 pounds but I let him have a turn....he moved the buck about 3/4 of an inch and said "I know your a big one, but I gotta get you out of here" I was taking pic's of him dragging and cracking up at him talking to the deer and his persistence to drag it. You'd have had to been there. I got to see someone take my target buck today......But there is NOBODY I'd rather see get it! That Boy Is One Proud Fella Today......And I feel pretty good myself! I am truely proud of that boy and so is his Mother. Congrat's to you ZJ....You Did It!

hpim1939Z.jpghpim1954Z.jpghpim1944Z.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is an awesome story, Rick! Glad you have all had such a great season, and no better way to cap it off!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
A huge congrats ZJ on harvesting your first 15 pointer. Thar is something I have yet to do. This story is so far my favorite for the season. I had a smile from ear to ear while reading it. Thanks for sharing.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Rock on ZJ awesome buck! Rick great story and hunt, congrats for the whole family.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Wow, what a great story, and an awesome buck. Congrats to ZJ! I can't imagine how proud you must be of him, and how happy he must be!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What a great read! Awesome deer,hunt and season for all 3 of you! This is what it's all about! Congrats to ZJ on making a great shot and taking such a great deer. You and Diane must be pretty danged proud! Well done you guys and gal!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That was just awesome! Congrats ZJ, you are THE MAN!!! Congrats to the whole family, I love the fact that you all have been so successful together this season. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face reading this story.