Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help - Truck Problem

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Well I have searched all over and can't find anything on the internet on what's wrong with my truck, so I figured I would ask you guys lol.

I have a 1996 Toyota T100 3.4 Straight 6 190k

About 2 months ago I was getting something to eat in town, and when i came back to start my truck, it wouldnt start. It would turn over but wouldnt start..after about 10 minutes though, it finally started, but sputtered like it was low on gas ( it had 1/2 a tank)

So i thought, okay that was wierd but I was on a hill and thought maybe that's what was wrong..idk

Well around a month later I was driving down the road, and the petal went to the floor and my truck bogged down like it was out of fuel again, and broke down. But when it was bogging down I shifted into 4th really hard and it's like it fixed itself and ran okay..then it ogged down about 5 seconds later, and died. So my dad and I replaced the tank, and fuel pump..hoping that was it. Keep in mind that the fuel pump was used though and from the junk yard. Well I was leaving my hunting spot a few days ago, and It started the same shit, bogging down and not getting fuel. But once again, I popped it into 4th and it fixed itself and I made it home..So we then put a brand new fuel pump in, and it worked great. That was 2 days ago..

Well i go get in my truck to run to town today, and it wont start..it just turns over and cranks...but will not start. So i have no idea what to do..Fuel Filter? Vaccum Line? What do you guys think??

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Can't rule out vacuum line but it could also be a catalytic converter issue as well. I've seen them do some crazy stuff when that needs replaced, because it isn't letting the air flow properly through the exhaust system.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Yeah it could. My O2 sensor went bad once and my truck ran like that. Most of the time you will get a check engine light if the O2 sensor is bad though.

epe

Lancaster
Have the factory replace the fuel filter....They are a bitch to replace because the lines rust its on the frame rail.. I heard only cool people drive those trucks.. :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351814917671.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351814917671.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 68

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The pedal went to the floor on it's own ?

Vacuum line would be my guess. Sucking air and causing the pedal to do that. Had a car a long time ago that did that.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
fuel filter possiblly. i replaced mine and it wasn't too bad. O2 sensors generally wont bother the truck with it running...at idle it will. id try filter first. you can just disconnect the catalyic i think...

epe

Lancaster
fuel filter possiblly. i replaced mine and it wasn't too bad. O2 sensors generally wont bother the truck with it running...at idle it will. id try filter first.

I have done mine before, but the t-100's are notorious for being bad..

whack

Vacuum could be it for sure. Don't rule out a o2 sensor though I had a f150 that I had put dual 3" exhaust on and it was passing so much more air that it was messing with the o2 sensors like they were bad caused it to bog down something awful especially when climbing hills.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Check your fuel pump relay, not sure about Toyota but most manufacturers have two like relays and one is for the fuel pump.... if the trick doesn't start its either fuel, sparks or air.... usually spark especially since you've basically changed the pump twice.... swap the relay for the fuel pump and if that didn't work start looking at your ignition relay/coil.... don't rule out crank sensor either.... these can be checked too see if they work.... have you been on any Toyota forums? Usually they have some words of advice as well....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My first thought was what Drake suggested: Plugged up exhaust. Vacuum lines aren't as much of an issue on the newer trucks as they were the older ones but you never know. Air filter been checked recently? Shouldn't be the issue, but doesn't hurt to check. You have air, fuel, and fire. Air has to flow in (air filter), but the exhaust is sometimes a hindrance. Fuel system sounds like you have covered most except the fuel filter or considering you could have gotten a bad fuel pump. Have you ever changed your spark plugs or wires? If you are getting a weak spark I can see it affecting all systems. Could be a random weak spark or maybe only when it collects a little moisture? Just some thoughts I am throwing out there. When it comes to sensors and things i am on the bench.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Check your fuel pump relay, not sure about Toyota but most manufacturers have two like relays and one is for the fuel pump.... if the trick doesn't start its either fuel, sparks or air.... usually spark especially since you've basically changed the pump twice.... swap the relay for the fuel pump and if that didn't work start looking at your ignition relay/coil.... don't rule out crank sensor either.... these can be checked too see if they work.... have you been on any Toyota forums? Usually they have some words of advice as well....

This is where my thoughts were going. Something electronic...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I had a small problem with Diane's newer Hyundai. I took it to the Hyundai Forums and was amazed at what I found and what people chimed-in about......... They acted just like a good bunch of Toosers! Getting the error codes read (if equipped) is sure a big step in the right direction .