Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smokers

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a quession. Who, when and where did this smoke scent coverup get started.
I stopped at Meirs today and picked up a bag of 2.5 lb. hickory for 1.99. Man does that ever burn better and easier to start than the hickory bark and twigs I started with.
Frank

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We started selling them in 2006. I started "smoking up" in 2000. It worked then, and still does today.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The smoker has really made a difference for me. I don't have a lot of property to hunt and the places I do have permission are either small slices of a woods or just plain small. With the smoker, I have been able to get away with hunting in the wrong wind do to little room for multiple stand sites. Except for smoke, I am as scent free as possible.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Here's where I get my hickory chips...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351808472.233129.jpg

Love the smoker! Had 3 does directly downwind last weekend and they were calm!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Mike and I are in the same ballpark, small wooldlots and multiple stands... Sometimes I couldn't hunt because the winds weren't right.... With the smoker I don't have too worry as much.... Yesterday was a perfect example of it.... BB bedded 20 yars down wind from me for over an hour.... Without the smoke he would of blew out of there and spooked every deer in a half mile area.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I had a 3.5 year old buck get downwind of me the other night for close to 5 minutes. He smelled something and spent the entire time trying to sort it out. After determining it wasn't dangerous, he flicked his tail and went on about his business. I've beat this horse 7 ways to Sunday, but it is the single most effective tool in my arsenal...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It worked for me today also. Had a small buck come in from downwind and never smelt me. I'm a firm believer. And I must say the hickory chips gives off 20 time more smoke than hichory bark and twigs. Plus the chips start easier and burn longer.
Frank

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I TOO was very skeptical about the smoke thing. I was a: If the wind is right, it is right kinda guy. I will swear by the smoker now and cannot imagine hunting without it. Smoked up to the hilt and ZJ shot a dandy at 13 paces with the wind blowing............Enough Said!~~~:smiley_clap: