Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Phil Hics Buck 2012

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
lmao

tumblr_m3clibfDyL1qbr6kxo1_500.jpg

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
fuggin cold-ass shit right there... :smiley_crocodile:

But wait....should been titled "The Phil Hicks Home Zone Buck" -
Our boy can still get it done -

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm just laughing at Ben for being a dick. lmao

He is just mad because every weekend he takes his kids to deer camp. While they are there, I take his wife to "oh dear" camp.

I am sorry Ben. Couldn't resist. You can have your wife. One is more than enough for me.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is this your way of inviting me to deer camp Ben? Then you would know for certain where I was. lmao

Buckmaster

Portage
Anytime Phil. Then you could spend some time hunting hill country in zone C. Just another option for you.
I'll be there 14 days during November. I think it would be about a 4.5 hour drive for you.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anytime Phil. Then you could spend some time hunting hill country in zone C. Just another option for you.
I'll be there 14 days during November. I think it would be about a 4.5 hour drive for you.

Guess what fuggstick. I am hunting Zone C this weekend!!!!!! I am pumped. Gotta finish the invoicing I started at 6am today. Then get the kids off to skool. Then finish some leaf cleanup jobs and pack. I will be hunting Lawrence County this weekend. Helluva drive! Cousin shot a dandy in there this morning and watched bucks chasing ALL day long!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is this thread a precursor to my weekend? Gosh I hope so! I have been on the phone with my cousin and studying aerial maps. I think I know where I am going to park and which ridges I am going to follow in. I am going in with a climber/bow/lunch/ and a prayer. Mental note: Find a compass. lol

Maybe we should bring some people up to speed. I screwed up. I misinterpreted the rules (read between the lines: I didn't read them closely). I used my either/or tag on my first doe. What did I do? I bought another either/or tag. Darned ol' ODNR cost me money for eating the early antlerless tags in the past so I thought I would just spend the extra $9 and be able to use it all season. If I filled the second one, oh well, buy another. Oops. This is where I went wrong. I can only use 2 either/or tags in my zone. Soooo. . . . I have been feeling gloomy, blue, depressed, and mostly just plain stupid.

Fast forward to today. I have been working on a huge 3 location contract with a company for over a month. We inked it yesterday. I look at the schedule and see my wife is off this weekend. I talk to my cousin today hunting in Lawrence County and he said "C'mon down and hunt with us cuz." He had bucks running wild all day long. Killed a solid 130's buck today. Mature and mid to upper 130's is quite an accomplishment given his limited time to hunt this property. Long story short, I need to log off of TOO and finish my business paperwork so I can get the kids off to school, finish my work tomorrow and hit the road. I plan to drive most of the night tomorrow night and catch a few hours sleep. Hit the woods, find the ridge I am looking for, and hopefully find a nice saddle or shelf to satisfy my climber or Millenium/LW sticks.

All past promises to myself are off this weekend (this line is for you Dannmann.) This will be like the bachelor days of "no pride night." If I see a buck that trips my trigger, that buck is getting an arrow. No basket racks or anything, but I am not holding out for a 140" deer. If that deer looks 120ish or better, I am throwing down Slick Tricks from the sky!

Do I honestly think it is possible? 50/50 chance I would say. 120 or better might be lofty given how blind I am going in with just some intel from my cousin and aerial maps. Then again, the rut is in full swing in this area (or it was today) and you NEVER know during the rut! Will I hold out if it is 115"? Maybe, but probably not. lol Then again, once I get a feel for this location, I might swing down another weekend or two to try it again, so maybe I do holdout. I am heading south with a bow and a prayer!