Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wouild you buy a doe tag, this late?

I've been very busy with some work related BS and haven't been able to bowhunt, so far. Starting on the 8th, next Thursday, I'll be free to hunt and will have 17 days within which to kill a doe. Plus, this weekend starts Eastern Standard Time. :smiley_depressive: Sunset is 6:30ish, now, but it will be 5:30ish after the time change.

I get off of work at 3:30, can be at home in 10 minutes, can change clothes and be in a treestand by 4:15ish.

Given the amount of hunting time available, would you purchase a doe tag?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
If you can't fill it by gun season, and don't have an urban area to hunt in, then spend the extra $9 and get the either sex tag. You can't buy 3 gallons of gas for $9 so why over think it? Worst case scenario, you don't fill the $15 tag, really get the itch to keep hunting for a doe, and end up spending an extra $24 when it's all said and done.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Just depends... will you pass a doe and wait and see if a buck is following since the rut is close? If so, I would just buy the extra $24 tag and concentrate on a buck, and kill a doe late season.

If you are just trying to fill the freezer, go ahead and buy it and smoke a doe as soon as you get a chance. Then you will have 2-24 dollar tags to work on killing your buck, and maybe even another doe late season. Worst case you donate your $15 dollars, I've done that a time or two :)

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
If you can't fill it by gun season, and don't have an urban area to hunt in, then spend the extra $9 and get the either sex tag. You can't buy 3 gallons of gas for $9 so why over think it? Worst case scenario, you don't fill the $15 tag, really get the itch to keep hunting for a doe, and end up spending an extra $24 when it's all said and done.

This is the right answer

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just don't use 2 either/or tags on does. If you want two does then you HAVE to buy at least one early season antlerless tag in our zone. Otherwise you will only be able to hunt for does in our zone. Just saying. I know a guy that learned that one the hard way.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Just don't use 2 either/or tags on does. If you want two does then you HAVE to buy at least one early season antlerless tag in our zone. Otherwise you will only be able to hunt for does in our zone. Just saying. I know a guy that learned that one the hard way.

:smiley_crocodile:

If this helps... I have no intentions of shooting a buck with my bow, unless it's bigger than what I already have on the wall. I'd prefer to shoot a buck with my new Ruger Super Redhawk, during the Deer Gun Season. If a bigger buck walks by and I shoot it with my bow, then I'll have to wait until next year to do the handgun thing...no big deal.

I do intend to shoot the first full sized doe that walks by, for the landowner.

Perhaps buying 2 either sex tags makes more sense, so that I have the entire deer season covered and I can keep hunting. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57