Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Daughter finally got her first deer!

deerslayer1985

Well, My Daughter finally got her first deer. She had been hunting pretty hard with me most of this year. I thought she had been pretty patient for a 7 year old. I called her off of a couple small does, which she didn't care for one bit! lol So I was getting trail cam pics of the buck we call the wide 8 coming by our honey hole tree stand. I set up a blind a couple weeks earlier right below the tree stand. I continued to get pics of him coming by. So I took her up there. We sat for probably close to 2 hours before seeing a deer. 2 small does walked up past and started feeding in front of us. She wanted to shoot one of them immediately. I could still here more deer walking though. We waited another 2 minutes, and here came 2 more does. 1 of them was a fawn, and the other a decent sized doe. She said let me shoot the biggest one. I could still here more deer walking though. So I convinced her to wait. Then here came 2 more does. One of them was a pretty big doe. They walked up to about 10-12 yards in front of the blind, and just started feeding around in front of us. She was getting really anxious. I finally decided to let her just shoot one, because there would be plenty of time left in the season for her to get a buck. I told her as soon as the biggest one gets broadside to shoot her right behind the shoulder. I looked to my left, and heard the crossbow fire....I looked around real fast not expecting her to shoot that fast. I heard a good solid thump when the arrow hit. I seen the deer running, but couldn't make out the hit. The hill drops over real fast in front of us, and after a few bounds I could not see the deer at all. I told her to be quiet so we could hear if she goes down. I heard a crash noise, but couldn't tell for sure if she had went down, because there were 6 deer together, and when there are 6 deer running its tough to tell if 1 crashed or not. We sat there for about 10 minutes, and I talked to her about where she had aimed. She told me I aimed right where you told me too. I said did you see the arrow hit her? She said yea. I said well where did it hit her? She said right where I aimed! lol After giving the doe a couple hours we went looking. I found a couple spots of blood right where she shot her. Then it kinda stopped. My Dad was helping us track her, and he just started walking down to where I said it sounded like she crashed. He yelled Haylee come here. I yelled did you find blood. He replied no, but I found Haylee's deer. She started screaming, and running full blast towards that deer. I've never seen her so excited in my life. I can tell she is gonna be hooked now. She hit that doe perfect. It went about 40 yards. It was a pretty big doe too. It field dressed 120 pounds. I was as excited as she was. I think my Dad was too. Here's the pics.

Attachments

• Haylee deer.JPG
    Haylee deer.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Haylee deer 2.JPG
    Haylee deer 2.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Haylee deer 3.JPG
    Haylee deer 3.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 148
  • haylee deer 4.JPG
    haylee deer 4.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 131
  • haylee deer 8.JPG
    haylee deer 8.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 126

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
"I said well where did it hit her? She said right where I aimed" That part cracked me up!!!

Congrats to your daughter on her first deer! Great story!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Great story and congratulations to your daughter. I have a 7 year old daughter also, and am trying to get her a chance too. Thats great!

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Congrat's to your daughter, she looks so thrilled in those pictures. A day with Dad she will nver forget. Thanks for sharing. :smiley_clap:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That is awesome and at 7. I didn't see a deer in Ohio until I was 17. Looks like you have lifetime hunting partner.
Frank

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Man that is OUTSTANDING!
What a smile! (that's pretty girl's gonna have her own hunting show someday!)
3 generations in one pic - and a perfect shot -
Don't get any better than that - thanks for sharing!

Big H

Medina
Fantastic, congratulations!

Those are almost the exact words my oldest daughter said to me when she shot her first deer. Me: "Where did you aim?" Sami:"Right where you said TOO" LOL