Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Got one!! 8 point

hunna771

Tonight felt like a special night. There was a break in the storm from Sandy from 5 to 6, then rain around 6. I left the house around 4:30 and was to the property by 4:45. I put out 2 scent wicks with Dominant Buck scent, and one with Doe Estrous on it just for the heck of it. I placed the estrous and dominant buck scent to the east of me 20 yards away, and the other about 7-10 yards from my stand to the SW. The wind was blowing towards the S/SE. Perfect. I also saw 2 new rubs in the creek bed, by the 2 scent wicks. I sat quietly in the stand overlooking a 30 yard wide open patch in an uncut corn field. I expected the deer to be heading north, coming from the south. I rattled after sitting for about 30 minutes. Then about 15 minutes later i tried doing a little grunting. It was now about 5:30. I had remember i brought a few apples with me that kids at school give me at lunch for the deer.(LOLOL). I happened to look into the hard woods to the west and i saw movement. It was antlers. Coming my way. I slowly set the apples down, stood up and grabbed my Recurve Bow. He was staring at the ground the whole time and never stopped movin'. He came within 10 yards, within 2 feet of my scent wick. He never looked up or quit moving. I drew back and let that cedar shaft with a Zwickey Eskimo 2 blade broadhead leadin it. THWACK! Right in the left shoulder, 7 inches of penetration at least. He was hit. Hit hard. He ran out to the edge of the corn field, (snapped the arrow off on his way out) and headed down the edge painfully. He stopped at 50 yards, waggin' his tail like a dog. He started quivering and getting tipsy and fell over. He kicked for about 10 seconds then died. I was so freakin' excited i about peed my pants. I almost started crying too lmao. I quickly called my dad and told him and then my best bud Zak. Although i saw the deer die, i wanted to give him a little bit more time, just in case. I've had too many bad experiences. Anyways, i gathered everything up and walked through the corn field to my car to meet my dad and zak. We headed back out, practiced following a blood trail and got up to him.... I know, he ain't no monster, but in my book he is. All of my super hard work, time, money and dedication i've spent, i am satisfied. The shot was absolutely perfect, especially with the angle. Through the lungs and the top of the heart. I did catch all of the events on film with my video camera and the video will be up in a week or so. I'll post the link here!! Now for some pics!!! :smiley_bril::smiley_clap::smiley_coolpeace::pickle:

Bow: River Raisin Recurve
52# @ 28"

384785_4038734528986_1162513948_n.jpg403466_505154406169520_1296465609_n.jpg1030122102.jpg1030122240.jpg

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
good write up, and congrats! Looks like a trophy to me, especially the pick with the recurve in it.

Well done! :smiley_clap:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Excellent job Hunna! Any DEER killed with trad gear is an accomplishment! Congrats on the trophy! :smiley_clap:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
killing a deer with any bow is an accomplishment, what you have done there is something some will never do. Congrats!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Congrat's Hunna! That is Great......And yes, it is a TROPHY DEER. IMO deer have everything but the weapon in their favor...you my friend, gave him the upper hand with that TOO! You deserve it! Congrat's again and Great write up!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
That's an awesome accomplishment for a young man like you. Congratulations! I commend you for doing it the traditional way, that's really neat.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Congrats! It was nice to read this story, followed your tough misses and losses... Way to stick with it and put a good shot on a buck! You should be proud of you hard work and dedication!