Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting in the Rain: Ethical?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When I receive criticism about TOO, it often centers around "group think" and "no spice". As I was road scouting tonight wondering if I should really be in a tree based on what I saw last night, I realized I didn't feel right bow hunting in this weather due to the high probability of losing blood quickly after the shot. Not to mention holding a bow steady in these winds after spending a few cold, wet hours on stand may be a daunted task! All while suffering from buck fever!!! I'd like to trust my auto pilot, but I'm not so sure if I could...

So that leads me to this question; one that is sure not to conform to group think or lack any spice. In your opinion, is it unethical to bow hunt in conditions like we are experiencing right now. For a frame of reference, we currently have 20-25 mph winds and a steady, soaking rain has been falling all day.

My answer is such: It is not illegal to be hunting in this weather, therefore it becomes a matter of PERSONAL ethics. What one person deems acceptable, some one else will chastise. We owe it to the animals we pursue to end things as quickly, efficiently, and as humanely as possible. We also owe them every ounce of effort in recovering them post-shot by exhausting our resources to find them, or not finding them as the case may be. For me, hunting in these conditions is not worth the possibility of losing blood and it is an almost certainty that you would in a short amount of time. These conditions warrant staying home or scouting, not being in a stand trying to kill deer in my opinion.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I personally wouldn't hunt in the conditions you described above from a treestand but if I wanted to hunt and do it ethically I'd have no qualms of hunting from a box/ground blind. Just take high percentage shots and reduce your yardage limits should make all aspects of the hunt safer, more enjoyable and ethical. Imo

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Ethics is a tough subject. In weather like this a blood trail will wash out fast so therefore I did not hunt in these conditions. JMHO

Kaiser878

ohio
I struggle with this one myself...I hate to waste hunting days this time of year though...When it is like this and the conditions are this way...I limit myself to 20-25 yard shots...Nothing more...THey have to be perfect broadside shots or slight quartering away shots...nothing drastic and def. no quartering toward shots...ANything is possible when hunting deer...they can always move and you can always hit a limb...I try to be as careful as possible allthe time... but in the rain I am super picky about shots...I have shot my bow in heavy winds..I see minimal arrow drift at 20 yards...Maybe 1/4-1/2 inch... same with rain... I have shot many a 3-D tournaments in heavy rain...It does make a difference in arrow flight once your string is wet and your arrows are holding water..But it changes drastically at 30 yards...thats why I wont shoot at that distance in rain or wind...

Two years ago I was at Nelsonville in the down pour trying to shoot a triple crown shoot...I watched the people in the group I was shooting miss a broadside Elk at 30 yards by shooting low..THe vapor trail from the arrow was crazy...WHen I got up there I put my 50 yard pin on the elk....and still shot low and got an 8...Water does crazy things to bows and arrows

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I have always limited myself to hunting after rain, or in a real light drizzle that will eventually let up. Everyone here knows I am colorblind, and trying to follow a blood trail in wet conditions is nearly impossible for me. With that being said, if I am hunting in a drizzle, I try to limit myself to short shots and ones where I am 100% sure of the yardage. If I shoot a deer in these conditions, I need it to fall within sight.

Wind is a different beast altogether. I have never felt comfortable shooting with a strong wind, and it is hard to hold on target. If that wind let's up any as you are releasing your shot, there is no way of telling where that arrow might hit. Not to mention trying to stand in a treestand and balance yourself for a shot. If the winds are high, I try to get down in a deep holler where I am less affected by the wind. If that isn't possible, I just don't go.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'll hunt it but like Zach stated will only make the shot if it's a good angle and if the deer isn't spooked or on edge... With the wind and rain there's too many variables but I'll sit in it and see what happens.... I've had two deer harvested in high winds, with one being in a steady rain and both worked out in my favor.... Am I pushing my luck.... Time will tell... But if you limit your shots and don't push it it can be done..... I know my limitations and haven't had issues pushing the envelope..... But I see where you're coming from Jesse..... Oh and both my harvests came from the ground.....

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I have lost 2 because of a combination of poor shots and rain washing away the blood trail. Hunting time is sometimes hard to come by, so if conditions aren't to bad, I'll get out there. I doubt I will try any risky shots though. Maybe it would be a good time to scout, check cams, hang stands, and shoot tree rats instead.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm not hunting in this crap with a bow. More power to you if you do, it isn't for me anymore. It's a long season, I don't need to kill a deer, and I'm getting lazier every year. I just do this stuff for fun, and rain takes the fun out of bowhunting for me.

Last year's opening day of shotgun season was an absolute downpour. I hunted all day, and had one of the best still-hunts of my life. Deer slugs and broadheads are different animals all together.

Diablo54

Outside
Yes and no. I see a lot of deer in the rain. Although with the equipment I choose to use I don't think it is ethical unless you have one at 10 yards and know you can make the shot. I shot a doe on Saturday morning. She stood at 15 yards for nearly ten minutes. I kept telling myself no no no no. rain is on its way it's not worth it. However after 10 min the urge to kill took over. I picked a spot and hit a few inches back from where I wanted. Looked like a liver hit. She ran off with myarrow burried in nock deep. 2 hrs later I took up the trail and found no blood no arrow no nothing. After a lot of grid searching we came up with nothing. I should have known better but you have to learn somehow.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just shoot them where it counts. If you can't then wait for the shot. Or shoot button bucks. They're pussies.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'd like to also add if its a typhoon outside like coming down in buckets and sideways with 30+ MPH winds.....Fugg NO! I'm not crazy! Lol

I'm speaking mostly if its vacation time I had to use or a paid hunt(never had but if), I'd try my darnedest to get my money's worth or not waste my leave. Shotgun is a no brainer but it does make you think when archery gear is involved. Good thread Jesse.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Not me, I've helped too many guys track deer, that thought they could wait for that perfect shot, just to have something go wrong. It's easy enough under perfect weather conditions for things to go awry, let alone during less then stellar conditions. We are human, not machines, now add low light, wind, rain, no thank you.

Lundy

More than enough deer are not recovered in ideal hunting conditions. Really shouldn't be making decisions that add difficulty points to an already pretty difficult quest.

It is not, or at least should not, be about hunter comfort. It should all be about likelihood of recovery.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Last year's opening day of shotgun season was an absolute downpour. I hunted all day, and had one of the best still-hunts of my life. Deer slugs and broadheads are different animals all together.

Agreed. I killed my doe in shotgun season last year during a steady rain. It is actually nice to have sprinkle or two during gun season!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I don't hunt the rain unless I absolutely HAVE to get out there, and that is rare. I don't like being soaking wet, and don't really have good rain gear, so I usually stay at home. If I do venture out in a sprinkle/shower, I limit my self to 10-15 yard "slam dunk" shots and that's about it.

The blood trail issue isn't as bad around here, hell I can grid search a 10 acre wood lot (which is about all I hunt) in about a half hour checking every inch. Outside of that the deer would have to be laying in the wide open field. Big wood hunters I can see where a non existent blood trail would become an issue.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I love hunting in the rain and have no problem taking a good shot. I will not shoot in anything more than a moderate rain. Also, I have to stress that it needs to be a great shot.