Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Horton Ultra Lite

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Picked this up for the wife and kids. Looked it over real well in the parking lot. Noticed the piece the quiver attaches to was broken. No big deal. I got a fair buy. Got it home. Fondled it half dozen times. Kids played with it. I showed it to a cousin. Took pics with the kids. Thought nothing of it. Ran out of daylight and never shot it. Wife got home from work. Brought it in from garage to show her. Noticed something i didn't like. Give me your thoughts and opinions. I am not feeling good about what I am seeing. uploadfromtaptalk1351475768984.jpguploadfromtaptalk1351475779331.jpguploadfromtaptalk1351475788577.jpguploadfromtaptalk1351475798666.jpguploadfromtaptalk1351475811790.jpguploadfromtaptalk1351475820891.jpg

Huckleberry Finn

I know with compounds they say to run a cotton ball over the limbs to check 'em.

No clue on that...but it don't look good.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will add a bit more. I was posting from phone initially. Bought this off a female. Didn't ask but assumed she was hunting with bf and it didn't work out or something. Bought it last year from Bass Pro. They sighted it in. She hunted with it 5 times. No reason not to believe her. Said she killed a pretty good buck with it. Claims she took it back to Bass Pro this year to have it checked out. Fired it once and verified scope was still dialed in. I have no reason NOT to believe any of this. Seems legit enough.

I have left her a voice mail. Told her I am not looking for a refund or money off the deal. Just left message asking her assistance in getting warranty work done since she was the original purchaser. Time will tell if she returns my call.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Damn It Man! I hate hearing this. I am assuming from the pic's that it is in the limb and not the laminated sticker on the front? If it is in the limb, and she does not call back, call Horton immediately. Will PM you with further details.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Phil, in picture three is the parts that are sticking out rigid like a laminate or flimsy like sticker material????? Cotton ball isa good test like Steve said... I'd forward the pictures too the Horton customer service and ask their oppinion as well.... Newer bow like that shouldn't have that kind of issue.... Also get the serial # off of it for Hortons referance.... That'll let them know when it was made.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know. Hard to tell in pictures. Truthfully was hoping it was sticker. The more I look at it, the more I think the "sticker" is the final layer or lamination. That really appears to be part of the lamination to me in person.

Rick- I am frustrated but in NO WAY upset at you. You helped me out and helped me find it. That is truly appreciated. I looked the thing over several times. Like I said, I handled it half a dozen times at the house and drew it up (without locking it in) and let it down several times today. I almost wonder if taking it out to hang in the garage and then bringing it back into the warm house is what caused it to show up? In the end it doesn't matter. Sometimes these things just slip by us when we are looking things over. Surely wasn't your fault by any means. Could have happened when one of the kids were shooting it. I am just thankful I caught this prior to allowing one of the kids to shoot it. That could have been real ugly not to mention the fear it would put into the kids. Might have mentally or physically scarred them.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
This is the crossbow that I have. It's a nice bow for sure, but yes, call Horton ad get a new limb.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
This is the crossbow that I have. It's a nice bow for sure, but yes, call Horton ad get a new limb.

This. If I knew what process they used for limbs I could be more helpful. If it is a multi layer system then clip, sand and shoot until the new ones come in.

If not, DO NOT SHOOT IT!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Contacted Horton. They said "Send it in." I will pay shipping to and they will send it back. Going out today.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dropped it off to UPS today. They should see it tomorrow. Thankfully we are still borrowing a friend's crossbow so maybe I can get the kids out shooting it some this week. Hopefully have ours back by the weekend but I would think sometime next week is more realistic. They acted like a week or so turn around was normal right now. Rick has been super helpful along this journey. I appreciate all the input from all the TOO gang!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I had aHorton and one of the limbs started doing this. They put new limbs on it for free. I will be real surprised if they don't treat you right Phil. By the time you get the bow back it should be like brand new.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil, any update?

Please PM me with any issues, I can forward this up the ladder.

I have heard nothing in reply so far. No phone calls, no emails. I can send you my info if you would like. Hoping it is resolved fairly quickly.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Adam. I appreciate it.

Sent an email late last week. Someone at Horton replied over the weekend. Either late Saturday night or Sunday. Impressive really. They told me UPS should have it to me on Monday. Well, UPS delivered it yesterday. Going to take it out and shoot it today. Then I will let Garrett try tonight. Excited!

I would have loved to have seen the turn around quicker, but let's be realistic. It is the first half of November. They received it, repaired it, and shipped it back within 2 weeks. Try getting that service out of another company. I am satisfied with the service. No charge either. Can't beat that. Thank you Horton!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Took the Horton out for a test drive this afternoon. It was balls on at 20/30/40yds. I didn't try 50 or 60yds.

Garrett got home from school. I made him finish his homework then took him out for a test. We had already discussed the crosshairs on the scope. We had discussed the safety concerns previously, but also covered them today before shooting.

His first shot (20yds): If a softball was covering the bullseye, he would have hit the top edge of the ball.
Second shot: Money
Third shot: Money

Back to 30yds.
First shot: What the heck was that? My question to him "Which one of those were you aiming for?" Well, he hit the high left target on a Yellow Jacket but was aiming for the middle. I quiz him again asking if he was sure he wasn't aiming at the wrong one. He said, "No Daddy. When I shot I did a circle around the target and squeezed the trigger. I don't think I stopped moving when I squeezed the trigger." Okay. This is good. He is at least analyzing what he was doing. Coincedence? This is also the only time I did not check to make sure the butt stock was on his shoulder and cheek on the stock. Won't make that mistake again.

Second shot at 30yds: Money
Third shot: Money

I went out tonight and got a 3D target replaced. I bought one a couple weeks ago and it was defective. He now has a deer to shoot at, 4 additional bolts, and a 6 pack of Muzzy 100's. We will continue every night this week but we will be aiming at the deer. I tried to explain to him different angles. He wasn't getting it. Time to get a training aid out and show him what I mean. He is a smart kid. He will get it. If he shows me he can put the arrow on the deer where he needs to this week, he will be hunting this weekend. I am so proud of him right now. I cannot explain it. Just a proud papa.