Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who uses red dots on their hunting handguns?

I recently purchased a Smith & Wesson 22A and promptly installed a Tasco red dot 50mm and it has been a great asset. Shooting this .22 caliber handgun with a red dot has greatly improved grouping accuracy, as well as hunting kills.

Just before purchasing the 22A, I purchased a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag. that's producing 2" groups at 40 yards with open sights. However, that grouping size jumps to 5 3/4" at 60 yards. I would like to maintain the 2" to 3" group size at 60 yards with the use of a red dot. I have ordered a Sightmark Ultra Shot, that should be here by the end of the upcoming week.

Who uses a red dot sight on their hunting handgun(s)?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

FredT

SE Ohio
I have used one but felt the dot covered up TOO much of the game animal. My .44 Redhawk (which is NOT my go to deer pistol) has a 2x Leupold and holds a one inch group at 50 yards. I will say that the dot is easier to track a moving deer than are cross hairs. My go to is my TC/Contender in .375 Winchester. It can do a 2 inch group at 100 yards. It wears a 3x9 Burris LER scope.

FredT,
You have some good looking critters on the ground there. :smiley_bril: I hope to be as successful with my Ruger Super Redhawk.

I finally got my red dot and sight rail in the mail, installed them and took them to the range. Everything held up while I sighted in the Sight Mark Ultra Shot. 2" groups at 40 yards was what I came up with and promptly ran out of daylight. I'd still like to get back to the range to do some plinking...just to feel comfortable with this hog leg side iron. :smiley_blink: It's seemed to grow after installing the sighting hardware.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You have access to the 100yd range at my place anytime. Neighbors all like hearing guns. They got to hear 22/9mm/380/45acp/223 rounds yesterday. I brought one piece but did empty a magazine in one of my BIL's guns. You can shoot farther than 100yds if you would like but my foreman parked his camper there. Just put holes thru it and you will be good to go on the penetration tests as well. It was supposed to be parked there for a week or less. It has been a month and counting. I am starting to think I am going to own it soon by squatters rights.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
A friend has a red dot on his 44mag that he uses for deer hunting. Shoots really nice with it but for some reason other people can't get quite the same POI that he does, its strange we are always close but not the same POI for the same POA.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thats a good looking set-up 57.

Like Fred, I also have a 2x Leupold on my Redhawk but have wondered for years if I would like a sight system like yours. . .

What weight round does it like?

CJD3 said:
Thats a good looking set-up 57.

Like Fred, I also have a 2x Leupold on my Redhawk but have wondered for years if I would like a sight system like yours. . .

What weight round does it like?

CJD3,
Thank you! I kinda like it too. :smiley_blink:

FYI...I purchased the Sightmark Ultra on Amazon, for $65 with no shipping.

So far, it likes a hard cast 240gr. semi-wad cutter. In previous 44s, I've always shot 180gr. Sierra JHP bullets, but I've not had the time to try them in this particular 44. Perhaps next spring, I'll do some more testing. I used to own a S&W model 29 with an 8 3/8" barrel that really like the Sierras. It would ruin the day of any groundhog.

Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
CJD3,
Thank you! I kinda like it too. :smiley_blink:

FYI...I purchased the Sightmark Ultra on Amazon, for $65 with no shipping.

So far, it likes a hard cast 240gr. semi-wad cutter. In previous 44s, I've always shot 180gr. Sierra JHP bullets, but I've not had the time to try them in this particular 44. Perhaps next spring, I'll do some more testing. I used to own a S&W model 29 with an 8 3/8" barrel that really like the Sierras. It would ruin the day of any groundhog.

Bowhunter57

Interesting. My Redhawk does not like the lighter gr. She kinda likes the 240 gr. Her best group is with a big fat 300 gr. JHP from Hornady.
Its a whole nother game when you hunt with one. I'm sure you'll have a blast!
All the best!!

Last edited: