Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How much wind is to much wind?

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I was just curious as to what speed of wind will keep you from hunting? I have been obsessively checking the weather with the "frankenstorm" winds coming. I am trying to decide at what speeds to just say the heck with it and wait for a better day. It is hard though because I am taking the less is more approach this year and now that it is getting to that time of year I am busting ready to go! So what does the speed have to be for you to stay home?

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I rarely see movement at all on days when the wind is 15-20 and faster. IMO, it screws with their senses to the point they don't want to move. It's not always windy down here, so the deer aren't used to it like they are in the flatlands. If it gets above 20, I stay out of the woods.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Killed my buck in 2010 with 15-20mph winds. You just never know. Then again, there have been plenty of days I should have been at home and sat in the tree to see nothing.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
20 is the number in my head that will probably keep me from going. However, for some reason anything above 12mph my confidence level begins to drop durastically.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My biggest 8 point came on 20-25 mph winds.... Was watching the Browns get their asses kicked by the Squeelrs (Yeah I know go figure) and couldn't take it anymore and went out too a ground blind.... Sure as shit this buck walked down the iddle of a bean field and got too a field edge worked a scrape and then walked right too me.... I was thinking the whole time.... It's blowing too hard and WTF are you doing in the middle of a bean field?????

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got no problem hunting in 15-20 mph winds... I've seen plenty of deer in the past in these conditions. But when it gets to be 30+ I'm staying home. Unless it's blowing 30+ out of the north... then I'm going duck hunting. lol

Big H

Medina
I have a couple stands set up specifically for high winds. Those of you that hunt the hills can relate to what I am saying. One spot in particular, I can sit and watch the trees bending up on the ridge above me, hear the wind howling, and barely feel a breeze. The deer know where these areas are TOO.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I killed a good buck with the winds in the 20-25 MPH range and it was on top of a ridge. Just lucky to have a hot doe bedded for 3 hours from 9:15 to 12:15 within 25 yards from my stand. After she stood up when a scrub buck walked upon her the bigger buck got up to keep her mind on him and gave me a 25 yard shot.

25-30 MPH, I'm staying home, I hate hanging on for dear life let alone suppressed deer movement. Lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I killed a good buck with the winds in the 20-25 MPH range and it was on top of a ridge. Just lucky to have a hot doe bedded for 3 hours from 9:15 to 12:15 within 25 yards from my stand. After she stood up when a scrub buck walked upon her the bigger buck got up to keep her mind on him and gave me a 25 yard shot.

25-30 MPH, I'm staying home, I hate hanging on for dear life let alone suppressed deer movement. Lol

That's why they have ground blinds Ric!!!!!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Anything 25+ I don't go. I have seen deer move pretty good in higher winds here but they sure don't slow down much. They b-line on a mission type walk when it gets 20+ and as Ric said, I ain't about to hold on for dear life to go huntin lol. I do however have a new setup this year in the river bottom that I am going to give a try and see what the wind does down there

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm out now. The front is taking its time getting here, so we have a couple hours of 10 mph winds and sprinkles before it cuts loose...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I believe timing of the rut will dictate if I go or not. Pre-rut through Post-rut, they will tolerate the wind much more. Need to Breed will make you do things you normally would not. In 52 years, I've never killed one from the couch!

MandRroofing

In the woods
Durning The Rut i have seen some of the best rut action in high winds.4 years ago there was 30 mph winds and i was walking to my stand and i saw four buck at 3 pm walking through the fields and 1 chasing does around.i think during the rut it can be a good thing

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I had a doe and two fawns come 5 yards from my buck decoy this morning just after daylight. They came running over the hill like they were being pushed. It got me excited however nothing came in tow. I didnt stay real late.