Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When should one sit all day.?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I hunt all day because when I go I've generally travelled 2 hrs to get there and am staying overnite, so I squeeze every second I can in.

I'll get to an established stand in the morning and wait it out. Around noon or so get up and stillhunt for a couple of hours. Then catch a little nap in the woods till 3, then back on stand on the alert till last shooting lite.

I am a big believer in the "midday stroll" - deer movement from 1030 - 1:00.

If I lived on a farm and just had to walk out my backdoor to hunt, I'm sure I would approach a little differently....but this is how I do it now to squeeze every second I can in.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I still think we are a week or so away from seeing bucks from 11-3.. I don't want to miss it so starting the 3rd I will start my all day sits.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Starting next weekend is when I will sit all day. I rarely sit all day in one spot unless I had a good morning. Usually, I sit until noon or 1, get down and eat lunch, then climb in a new set.

It's almost that time!!!

RUT NUT

I took next Thursday and Friday off. I plan on 4 consecutive "all day sits". Thursday,Friday,Saturday and Sunday. Call me crazy....but that's what I'm doing. Haha!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Next week is when I will start hunting when the kids are at school. That's on top of my normal hunting days. Last kids on the bus at 0830, in stand 0900 till about 1500. On the days I can't do morning and evenings.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I live on a farm and I do alot of all days. Being retired I just love the being alone in the outdoors. I will satrt my all days the 1st Monday of Nov. I have to be out of town the 1st weekend so Monday it is. Maybe Wed-Thurs. next week.
Frank

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I live on a farm and I do alot of all days. Being retired I just love the being alone in the outdoors. I will satrt my all days the 1st Monday of Nov. I have to be out of town the 1st weekend so Monday it is. Maybe Wed-Thurs. next week.
Frank

Jealous:tantrum:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I have a really hard time staying put past 10-11AM... unless I'm seeing deer. I may be in the minority here, but there is no way I could sit dark to dark in the stand. I usually head out around 10:30/11 during the rut, go get lunch, sling a few arrows, get a game plan for the evening together and then get back in the stand around 2 or so. My patience has a lot to do with this too. Probably has cost me a couple midday bucks over the years though...

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Since hunting deer in Ohio since 1972. My it's been 40 yrs. And have taken over 50 deer I would say I have shot 25-30 % during the lunch time period. It's all day for me. Being older I don't need to be entertained like some of the younger folks. I was born and raised when there wasn't anything so having nothing to do all day doesn't bother me. I can entertain myself just fine. Not the way some of you sick people maybe thinking.
I figure out problems, design new items in my mind, hell the whole world is in front of you to figure out.
I just enjoy it and the phone is shut off. 2 weeks ago I had my phone on silent and a call came in. I had 2 does at least 500 ft away and at the buzz they both looked straight at me in my ground blind. When the caller called back they both threw their tails up and ran off. Never would have figured they would have heard that buzz at 500 ft.
Frank

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Starting Oct. 29th this year i will be sitting all day, normally the 3-4th before I do all dayers. With a full moon the 29th the deer will be more likely to move mid day so im starting early this year.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I have a really hard time staying put past 10-11AM... unless I'm seeing deer. I may be in the minority here, but there is no way I could sit dark to dark in the stand. I usually head out around 10:30/11 during the rut, go get lunch, sling a few arrows, get a game plan for the evening together and then get back in the stand around 2 or so. My patience has a lot to do with this too. Probably has cost me a couple midday bucks over the years though...

You're screwing up. All my biggest deer I've seen in Ohio have been between 11-3...

As soon as Nov hits and it's cold, I'll sit all day. When the rut is predicted to happen is when you NEED to be in a tree all day, even if you walk from one spot to another to get back in.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You're screwing up. All my biggest deer I've seen in Ohio have been between 11-3...

As soon as Nov hits and it's cold, I'll sit all day. When the rut is predicted to happen is when you NEED to be in a tree all day, even if you walk from one spot to another to get back in.

I am with you on the all day sitting. Before I had my own farm I hunted elsewhere and always had deer pushed past me by the other guys going back and forth. Oh sure it messed me up a few times but not by much.
When it's colder I now use a small propane heater under my chair set on low. I have a 45 yr old brown sleeping bag that I open up and it's wide enough to drap across myself and if one of the grandsons is hunting with me. The grandsons started out hunting all day with me but their dad convinced them it was stupid. See he is of the younger generation that gets bored too easy.
So now the grandsons go back home about 11:00AM and come back about 2:30PM. I take pictures of the deer during the time they are gone. Luckly the nice buck my 14 yr. old grandson got with a 44 mag. pistol 2 yrs ago came back on Sunday. But I still enjoy showing him the Saturday noon pictures. But it doesn't help much but they may come around.
It's all day for me.
Frank

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A interesting sad and stupid noon time story.
I am hunting couple years ago and the 2 propertys ajoining me are posted for no hunting. But we have tresspassers all the time walking around. Well I look off about 500 yrds and here comes a hunter in head to toe orange. Even had on orange glooves. Walking in a picked corn field in the open along the edge of the brushy patch. He stops and looks into the brush every so often.
He gets about 100 yrds away and just stands there and smokes a cigar. Then he puts the muzzel of the shotgun on his foot. OH hell he going to shoot his foot off but hey it may drive a deer past me in my woods. OH good he takes the muzzle off his foot. Now he puts both hands on top of the muzzle. OH hell now he's going to blow both hands off and I may have to go help him and ruin may deer hunting time.
Then he does the unthinkable. He rests his chin on top of his hands that are on top of the muzzle. I thought of hollering at him to get the hell out and take his head off the muzzle. But no I am thinking that may scare him. After about 10 minute rest (to me it seemed 10 hrs.) He just entered the brush and walked off. I heard no gunshots so I guess he didn't blow his hand, foot or head off. But to think it wouldn't been no great loss to mankind. He did push a deer out but too far for a shot.
True story but that was before I started carrying a camera fulltime. Stupid be-stupid do.
Frank

dangerousoldman

yep, always a good possibility to see deer in the afternoon. we've all spooked deer going back into the woods around 300. I have killed a lot of deer between 11 and 2. Today i left stand area around 1 and saw a doe walk across the two track in front of me as i was heading out. Killed a nice 8 two years ago at 3. one of my trail cams shows a lot of movement last couple weeks between 1130 and 4. Is set in a brushy semifunnel at the head of a deep ravine where it shallows out but I was surprised to see 3 smaller 8 pointers and a pretty nice 8 (125 +/-) between 2 and 4. type of cover etc plays a part i would think.