Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ahead of the front?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The weather forecast for today (Friday, Oct 26) is high of 70. The winds will be out of the SW then progressively changing from the West then from the North by 4:00pm.
The chance of rain is 30% starting at 7:00pm.
We all have heard of the cold front set to buzz through tonight and linger through the next 5 days at least. Tomorrow and Sunday is supposed to be a wash in regard to rain.

What are your thoughts? Do you prefer to hunt ahead of a front? Behind it? Fugg it, just hunt?

Give me your thoughts on this matter.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
At this point, it is "fugg it, just hunt". But my experience has been the backside of the front is best until late season. Once we get to the late season and it gets cold, they seem to move better before a big storm. I really believe they know when snow is coming and it's time to eat what they can.

With any luck, I'll be out tonight and for sure all weekend. It's gonna be a good weekend for hunting!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well Mike, I'm hunting on the ground as I type. I'm on just 3 hours of broken up sleep but just wanted to get out and observe the deer movement this morning. After a quick shower at 7:10 I dressed light and grabbed the bow and headed to the property thinking about how I wanted to do this. I decided to slip down along the furthest cornfield on the ESE side with the wind coming out of the W already down here. As I got to within 150 yards to where I wanted to go I jumped a deer that was in the standing corn but on the edge. I grabbed my grunt tube and hit it about 5 times. I made my way on down the corns edge to the creekbed and jumped another deer but saw it was a doe. I finally got to my ground hunting location at 8:00. The deer are definitely on their feet but are the mature bucks moving? Time will tell...

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
I'll be in your neighborhood hunting this weekend.
Looks like I'll be ringing out the britches but I can't get one sitting at home.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Well Mike, I'm hunting on the ground as I type. I'm on just 3 hours of broken up sleep but just wanted to get out and observe the deer movement this morning. After a quick shower at 7:10 I dressed light and grabbed the bow and headed to the property thinking about how I wanted to do this. I decided to slip down along the furthest cornfield on the ESE side with the wind coming out of the W already down here. As I got to within 150 yards to where I wanted to go I jumped a deer that was in the standing corn but on the edge. I grabbed my grunt tube and hit it about 5 times. I made my way on down the corns edge to the creekbed and jumped another deer but saw it was a doe. I finally got to my ground hunting location at 8:00. The deer are definitely on their feet but are the mature bucks moving? Time will tell...

Why was I whispering as I read this?LOL

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For the next 3 weeks... don't worry about fronts and weather and other BS. Just get out there and hunt whenever possible. You never know when Mr. Big will come walking into one of your shooting lanes.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Our rain here in SW Ohio started at 10:00AM today and has been non-stop ever since. No hunting today in the rain.
Frank

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, I went out ... & ended up freezing, I didn't wear anything heavy since it was warm at first. The temp changed rather quickly & I thought for sure deer would be passing by, but not a thing. Of course, after I got back home I started to recieve some buck pics, but they weren't big. I had a few drops of rain but the wind was crazy.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, I went out ... & ended up freezing, I didn't wear anything heavy since it was warm at first. The temp changed rather quickly & I thought for sure deer would be passing by, but not a thing. Of course, after I got back home I started to recieve some buck pics, but they weren't big. I had a few drops of rain but the wind was crazy.

X2, minus the pics. Dressed light, wind kicked, froze, left ear about fell off from wind hammering it.
Didn't see shit.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I was out but I was in rain the whole time. Stayed dry thanks to my new outer wear. Looking forward to seeing what the morning brings. Hopefully by then the rain is done.