Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Decisions, decisions............

When should I hunt Ohio in November

• Go with your plan of the three days before TGiving

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Hunt the Ohio gun season and kill that button buck you passed up earlier.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Come out after Veterans day.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay in PA and hunt Letterkenny Zone II.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I have three COA's listed in the above poll. Right now I'm leaning towards coming back the week of TGiving and hunting Sunday-Wednesday. I'm betting on catching the tail end of the rut and hoping that the bucks won't be in lock down and the big boys will be out cruising looking for that last hot doe. Over the years I've noticed that more biggens are taken later in November than during the middle. I could be mistaken, but it always seems like the true bruisers come out after the rut has started to calm down.

I'd like to come out on the 17th, but I don't want to waste two days of leave. My leave would start at 1630 on Sunday and end at 0700 on TGiving. Hunting isn't going to be much of an option after the holiday because my family will be will me. So that essentially leaves three days to get it done.

On the other hand, I could stay two or three more days and hunt some of Ohio's gun season. I could probably talk my brother into letting my nephew come with me for opening day. That would be nice too, but I'll have to attend a conference the following week so I'm not sure how that would work with my work and family.

Another option is to come home just after Veterans day and hunt too. I'm hunting Letterkenny Army Depot on the 10th and 12th of November. I could feasibly leave on the 13th and hunt the rest of the week. The action would probably be good, but the bucks should be in lock down around that time too.

I'm open for your inputs.....

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I have three COA's listed in the above poll. Right now I'm leaning towards coming back the week of TGiving and hunting Sunday-Wednesday. I'm betting on catching the tail end of the rut and hoping that the bucks won't be in lock down and the big boys will be out cruising looking for that last hot doe. Over the years I've noticed that more biggens are taken later in November than during the middle. I could be mistaken, but it always seems like the true bruisers come out after the rut has started to calm down.

I'd like to come out on the 17th, but I don't want to waste two days of leave. My leave would start at 1630 on Sunday and end at 0700 on TGiving. Hunting isn't going to be much of an option after the holiday because my family will be will me. So that essentially leaves three days to get it done.

On the other hand, I could stay two or three more days and hunt some of Ohio's gun season. I could probably talk my brother into letting my nephew come with me for opening day. That would be nice too, but I'll have to attend a conference the following week so I'm not sure how that would work with my work and family.

Another option is to come home just after Veterans day and hunt too. I'm hunting Letterkenny Army Depot on the 10th and 12th of November. I could feasibly leave on the 13th and hunt the rest of the week. The action would probably be good, but the bucks should be in lock down around that time too.

I'm open for your inputs.....

Make that four COA's...... 8*)

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Oh I forgot to mention that the reason I can't hunt unless I'm on leave is that I'd have to buy a NR Ohio hunting license if I did. I'm "half tempted" to spend the money on one anyway, but we'll see how it goes.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Leave form in hand, but an ID seems too work just as well from what I'm told..... But the leave form has too be filled out if you go by the letter of the law.... Now if you get a 72 pass you can have a 971 filled out as well right? Usually wouldn't be an issue unless you've got a warden that's a former GI...... I know lots of guys do it for fishing season just show the person asking for a license their Military ID seems too work for most cases....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Honestly, if it were me, I wouldn't choose any of those dates in the poll... I'd pick first full week of November. But maybe that's not an option for you... I don't know. I think a lot of the bucks will be in lockdown after the week of veteran's day. I guess if you're going to come late, you might as well come when you can carry a gun into the woods, too.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I can't swing the first two weeks. I'm draw for Letterkenny Army Depot on the 10th and 12th. There is NO WAY I'm missing the rut action there. Gun season is tough for me too though. I have a conference I have to go to around that time so it conflicts with work. I'm also considering not hunting at all. I'm gonna need the leave for next years hunting trips (Aug Wyoming Antelope and Sept Elk in Idaho).