Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting in this heat

Diablo54

Outside
IMO..deer pay less mind to it than us humans do. I think tomm night I'm gona setup behind a pond where the deer come through fairly regularly. Especially in this weather. One thing that I would look at is how little of water they have down at mound hill. I'd setup near a creek with water and acorns around and see.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I try to avoid it if I can up until the 1st of November, then I hunt regardless. My opinion is they will hunker down this week due to temps, and then will break loose this weekend. If I was going to hunt, I'd find water with good cover around it and set up there...

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I will hunt in it, but don't like to I'm usually out just because. If I find something else to hunt I will on weeks like this. I might go deeper in where there is less light if all the trees have not dropped and closer to bedding.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I usually try to avoid hunting in heat like this, unless the rut is in full swing. I just don't care to sweat my ass off while deer hunting. That being said, I did hunt last night and saw 5 deer. They came through my area of the property at about 6:20 p.m. It had actually cooled down noticeably by that time. The only reason I hunted was because I wanted to hang a couple homemade scrape drippers so that they could have time to drip for a few days leading up to this weekend. Had I not been hanging drippers, I would have stayed home just like a will the rest of this week. I'll be in the woods this weekend, though. From what I've observed, deer move like crazy when a cold front moves through after a hot spell.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dooooooe here she comes...watch out boy she'll chew you up.....
Doooooooe here she comes, she's a bean-eater......

Song's in your head now, ain't it?

Ha! How'd I miss this the first time??? Excellent Hall and Oates reference Dan-o. :smiley_clap:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Wish I could've been out tonight. Once again I'm at flag football practice drooling over the moon high in the sky. Hot? Yes, but 3 doe walked right below thye practice field while kids screamed and ran around. I'm taking my bow next time.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hunted last nite and tonite and got scunked both nites. Niothing moving except turkeys and the damn squirels. I had 4 groups of turkeys at the same time in my woods tonite.
Frank

epe

Lancaster
I got a 9pt in November one year and it was 82 degrees that afternoon.. He was on his feet around 4pm chasing does...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I find it to be counterproductive. While anything can happen I don't think its worthwhile to spread scent, spook deer , and sweat my butt off when cool temps during prime time are just around the corner . Starting Saturday I will be hunting my butt off. While I won't be able to do mornings and evenings every day for the next few weeks I should be able to get out pretty much every day. Hopefully a good'un offers itself up.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I find it to be counterproductive. While anything can happen I don't think its worthwhile to spread scent, spook deer , and sweat my butt off when cool temps during prime time are just around the corner . Starting Saturday I will be hunting my butt off. While I won't be able to do mornings and evenings every day for the next few weeks I should be able to get out pretty much every day. Hopefully a good'un offers itself up.

I'm in the same boat when the temps are this hot. I'll go shoot some birds and leave the woods alone until things cool off a bit this weekend. I know, "ya can't kill 'em if you're not there" but I'm trying to leave all my scent and disturbance out of the woods for now. Now, if it's this hot come November I'll still hunt regardless, but there's no doubt the heat slows down the overall movement.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Temps really dont matter much to me.. We only have a certian amount of time that we can legally be in a tree hunting, I will be there as much as I can be..