Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyotes Take Down 6-pointer

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This video was emailed to me. Just proves that coyotes have no problem taking down healthy adult deer...

[video=youtube;guQDH_fPydQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=guQDH_fPydQ[/video]

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It does suck. What really sucks is there supposedly is not really a way to thin them out. You kill more, the remaining have more pups...supposedly. Still, I try to kill everyone I see, and I will continue trying to snare them this winter. I HATE 'EM!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
A buddy at work said he was hunting with his son Monday evening and claims that they were being surrounded by yotes. He didn't have a flash light, but he could here them around them in all directions. They flat out sprinted the 1/2 mile to the car. He said that there were a bunch of them.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Running from a predator is an invite to eat your backside. Dang, that would freak ya out! I had four or five of them around me one evening while hunting across the road from our home. I was scared to death to climb down. I figured if I slipped and couldn't walk they'd eat on me for hours before anyone came looking. I imagine I'd make a tender piece of meat. :)

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
difference is, WE, have opposable thumbs. Deer dont, if the buck in that video could have wrapped his hands around the one in his face and stuck his thumbs in his eyes...
...totally different outcome.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What is scary is there were only two of them needed to take down the buck. Personally, I don't care what the law is about using your CCW on an animal if that animal is a coyote. Granted, I would NOT do it without reason. However, if they were surrounding me I would have no problem shooting one or two of them if possible. At this point I think it would be justifiable self defense.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Had a long conversation with MRex at camp about this - I'd suggested the state put a bounty on 'em ($5). He pointed out the only supporters that might be interested in helping pay would be the Farm Lobby. My thought is to raise the price of a license by $5, and encourage every hunter to actively seek 'em out and you could get your money back (Joe called it a "core charge" on a coyote :smiley_crocodile:).

In my view, the state already encourages hunting them by allowing open season with no restrictions year round by any means. But I think the state should do some marketing to encourage predator hunting, would be a win-win by generating revenue AND upping the kill.

But Mike also explained some history to me - that the Feds declared all out war on yotes in Montana (pushed by the sheep industry) and that after lots of time and $$$ they gave up - came to the conclusion that there was absolutely no way to wipe 'em out, that nature has made them just too damned resilient.

Here's a serious thought - just like we had deer camp at SR....we should have a "yote camp"....get our experienced guys teamed up with those of us who aren't... and preach the gospel of killing yotes to save our beloved deer population....get guys excited about killing yotes....just an idea