Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bad news!!!

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Well after meeting with Dr. Jackson, the surgeon I had to see about my hip today things dont look good!! I knew it was going south when he walked into the room and said "BAD NEWS" right off. He informed me that after looking at the x-rays and taking some more in the office that I had not dislocated my hip but it was worse, I have severe arthritis in both of my hips, 3 bone spurs on my left and 2 on my right hip. He asked if my right hip was bothering me and when I responded no he said it would not be long before it started too. He went on to let me know that this is bad news for someone in their 60s let alone their early 40s, this is why I replace hips he said and to make a long story short I am going to have to have both of mine replaced!!! We are going to try and delay it as long as we can so Thursday I have to be at the hospital for my first set of steroid shots in my left hip, I am also supposed to modify my lifestyle as much as I can, no more walking anymore than I have TOO, no climbing, I asked about treestands and he said definately not!!! no prolonged standing, and I could also stand to lose a few pounds, so I asked him are you calling me fat? he said no just that the less weight the less strain, so I'm fat! We are going to see how this goes and he hopes we can delay the hip replacements for a few years. Guess I have no choice but to deal with this and try and get through it. Gonna have to modify my hunting as I am grounded from here on out, sorry for the long post but I'm pretty bummed out about the whole deal right now, 43 and lookin at both hips getting replaced.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Damn Tad, I am sorry to hear that man. If there is anything the TOO family can do to help you out, let us know. I am more than willing to shoot a deer for you if you need meat, or cut wood if you guys heat with wood...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow, sorry too hear this Tad.... I've got a few people I know in this situation with knees as well... Too young for replacement according too the doc's but can't move much with the pain and because of it gain the lbs and makes it worse.... Tough situation too be in....

How do you see your season going?? Listen too the doc or say too hell with it and hunt??? Can't honestly say what I'd do in your situation..... Let the pain dictate your hunts????

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I hate to hear this.

I don't know how much it will help, but I would definitely do some research on natural/other things that you might be able to do in order to avoid (or put off longer) any surgery. Sometimes that is the only option, but some doctors are also quick to rush to that.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Definitely sorry to hear this. I am not one of these big herbalist/naturalist/holistic approach type people. However, I know there are some methods which are effective. Xbowgirl makes a great point here. Worth looking into I would think. Best of luck to you.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
That's terrible news. Have you considered getting a 2nd opinion? Another doc might recommend a different course of action.

RUT NUT

I hate to hear this Tad! What are you going to do about work if the doctor doesn't want you standing for a long period of time?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Dang Tad, that sucks big time. I'd definitely seek out a second opinion. It never hurts and could possibly present an alternative to the replacement. What did the Dr say about activities after replacement? Are you gonna be able to climb once everything is done and if rehab goes well? I'll be out your way in the next few weeks, hopefully I can help drag one out after you kill it from the ground blind!!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That just flat out sucks. Hope all goes well for you Tad and you can still enjoy some good ground hunts this season and have a speedy recovery so you can get out there and hunt next season.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Definitely bad news, but not the worst. I worked with a guy who had has done in his late thirties. He still gets around pretty good considering the circumstances.

Think positive and you will get through this.

Huckleberry Finn

Dang sorry Tad!

Hopefully this makes you laugh - today one of my coworkers, 40s, who has had a hip replaced, asked another, 60s, how he is doing because he just returned from having his second hip done. Then, the younger asked the older if his hips squeaked at all! He says that when he climbs stairs his hips squeak and drive his cats and dog nuts...no lies. The older guy just started cussing him up and down about having his damn hips replaced and now they are gonna make noise! So whatever you do, make sure the doc installs grease hub so that you can quietly deer hunt!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Tad, sorry to hear this! I'd get a second opinion TOO. Hope the shots help you out and you get thru this soon.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Headin to the hospital to get the first injection in my left hip, hope it helps, after talkin to the Dr. who is doing it I hope it does, localized severe pain for the first 24 to 48 hours after? this fuggin better work!