Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rut Details..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

When taking a week off to hunt the rut many of us are faced with the decision of should I take Week 1 or Week 2. I decided to look at a bunch of different factors to help make my decision. I figured while I was doing that I might as well post it.

Charles Alsheimer

Oct 25th-2nd Seeking phase
Oct 29 Rutting Moon
Nov 2nd-8th chasing phase
Nov 8th-16th peek breeding / Lockdown.

Week 1.
Nov 3rd - 11th

Moon
3rd--- 77% Illumination -- Rise 10:06pm - set 11:46am
11th---4% Illumination-- Rise 5:35am - Set 4:21 pm

Average temps over 8 years
3rd - 61 /47
6th - 58 / 45
9th - 59 / 45
11th - 58 / 46

For Friday the 2nd. Wunderground.com predicts the weather will be High 54 / Low 36 with chances of rain 40%.. We know after a rain always brings a cold front this time of year. Prior to the 2nd highs are around 50-54 all week with no rain.

Week 2
November 10th - 18th

Moon.
10th -- 11% Illumination -- Rise 4:23am - Set 3:40 pm.
18th ---34% Illumination -- Rise 12:22pm -- Set 10:30pm.

Average temps over 8 years
10th - 62 / 47
12th - 59 / 46
14th - 59 / 43
16th - 57 / 44
18th - 61 / 46

In my honest opinion I am liking the looks of week 1.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dang man, I may rethink all I just posted in the other thread! If that weather stays, I will take Halloween through the 4th to hunt for sure!

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Great stats, I have been taking the 2nd week off for years but the way the calendar dates fell this year I decided to try the 1st week and then some. I used to only go 5 days, over the past 10 years I have stretched it almost 2 full weeks.. My wife says in another 5 years it will be 3 weeks, I said I hope so!:smiley_clap:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice breakdown, Joe. Regardless of weather, I'd much rather lean toward the early part of the rut than the later part of the rut... i.e. the "lockdown" breeding phase does not interest me at all. Our group of rut camp hunters will be in SE Ohio from the 5th through the 11th. My dad's been freaking out, thinking they're going too early... but I've been telling him all along they'll be hitting it just right. After seeing your breakdown above, I feel even more strongly about this. If I wasn't going to NoDak that week to whack ducks and geese, I'd be in a treestand dark-to-dark from Nov 2nd to the 11th... no doubt in my mind.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It looks like the 8 year average tells me that the weather is actually colder the first week of November than the second.. And looking at the weather this year it loos like it'll be a little colder earlier. Couple that with not having to deal with any crops like most years and I think Week 1 is the ticket..

at1010

*Supporting Member*
some of you all are to smart to be deer hunting you need to be building rockets or some shit!

Great post Jackalope!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There are crops coming off down here in rapid succession. With this warm, dry weather and some rain coming, I bet any field that can be picked, will be picked this week.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I am hanging it up for the year. Good luck fellas.

Me too.... its all downhill from here!

LOL.... I actually listened to Charles Alhemier talk about this year starting early since the second full moon of the autumn equinox was Oct. 29th. He said every 4-5 years this happens and makes things pop off a week or two earlier. Everyone should see more chasing and seeking this year. I took off Oct. 28-Nov 4; Nov 7-8; and again from Nov. 11-18 so hopefully i can knock something down between 3 states lol

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
There are crops coming off down here in rapid succession. With this warm, dry weather and some rain coming, I bet any field that can be picked, will be picked this week.

I am sooo praying for that to happen. For the corn to come down this week would be amazing for the up coming two weeks

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm off from the 26 through the 16th and will be in the stand every hour my ass and back will let me..... If I don't score on a buck during that time it won't be from not trying.... Now where did I put those pillows for my tree stand seat?????? :smiley_coolpeace: