Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doing a little research.

thumbbilly

Hello all, as you can see this is my first post on here. I am a avid hunter up here in Michigan and a buddy and myself are planning a trip down next fall. We are looking towards Paint Creek or Woodbury at this point. Gonna be an early season bow hunt for a respectable buck. I was hoping someone could help us out on info in these areas or point us in a better direction if we are looking in the wrong place. We don't have the money to go to Illinois with our friends or pay for a guide in Ohio even. We are just tired of Michigan bucks and thought we would try our hand in Ohio. Any and all help and input is appreciated.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Any of the state park or Wayne National forest areas down in SE Ohio are great. There are even a couple decent state wildlife areas in NW Ohio that hold some nice deer. Pickerel Creek WA and Resthaven WA are good. The downfall with these is there is a lot less acreage to roam than if you were to go southeast. Strouds Run SP, Burr Oak SP, Wolf Creek WA... all decent places to hunt. Just find a motel somewhere in the middle and get out there and hunt. The best part about traveling to new place to hunt is discovering things on your own.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to the site. Stick around and read up. You will find some useful info here about public land places throughout the year.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Welcome, Woodbury is a giant place! Def not going to run into other hunters over there like other urban public areas. I know theres several really good deer takin from there each year.

dangerousoldman

you should get in touch with coonskinner on *************.com or he may be on this site sometimes. I would go somewhere that isnt as limited or as busy as paint creek. My suggestion would be Wayne Nat Forest. Land galore and if you dont find good sign you can just keep on looking and going deeper into the woods. Smaller places like paint creek and caesars creek get a lot of pressure and have limited spaces. WNF or some of the bigger public areas give you a ton more flexibility. I live beside caesars creek public ground and am around paint crrek a good bit but if i were going to spend a weeks vac and buy out of state license I would definitely go to the bigger woods down SE Ohio way. Lots of deer and lots of room to scout/hunt. Nice deer come from all over the state but smaller areas get a lot of pressure and walkers. Just my %.02. I like the WNF best for having room and opportunities.

dangerousoldman

lol guess i am not allowed to mention the other sportsmans site for Ohio hunters. No disrespect intended. The coonskinner name I mentioned sets up camp in WNF and is very knowledgeable and is willing to help out new to the area hunters. Very cool guy. good luck and enjoy your trip.