Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ever Calm Deer Scent Documentry for positive vs negative results

Buckmaster

Portage
This is a product review on a TOO group basis. Since many of our member's are putting EverCalm into trial I thought I'd develop this review thread. During the course of your season please place your positive or negative results here.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
At Strouds I had a 130" 8 that was hauling balls and stopped on a dime to smell the drag I used. He looked around curious and went about his mission after I called him back twice grunting.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll be following this thread pretty close. I may not buy any yet this season, but if the reports are good I'll definitely have some for next season.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I used mine for the first time Saturday evening. Mason killed a deer, but I can't say one way or the other if the scent had anything to do with that. They did spend a great deal of time sniffing around, but I think they were trying to sort out what the smokey smell was. They never did walk to the trees I had smeared it on, but they were down wind of them the entire time and within 10 yards or so as the trees I had applied it to were between the deer and our stand. It does smell like a deer for sure!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This should be more a testimony to my Scent Smoker than the Evercalm I used. Last night I walked in to hunt. A group of 8 does crossed my path along with a fork horn buck. At one point they converged directly downwind of me along with a group of 4 which came in from another direction (not crossing my path.) There were so many deer downwind of me for so long I simply could not believe it. I practice good scent control and I am a faithful user of the Scent Smoker, but that is a LOT of deer downwind for an extended period of time without blowing the alarm. End of the story: I shot a doe at 27yds. Moral of the story: Buy a Scent Smoker. Use it. Smoke everything including your boots. Then put a little Ever Calm on the bottoms and along the toes/heels before you walk in. Might not help, but I have not had a deer react negatively to it yet.

My other scenario was the doe I shot last week. Same deal except she was not downwind and she was alone. She stopped broadside to smell what "other deer" had walked thru. I feel it was the Ever Calm on my boots. End of story: Dead doe in my freezer.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
He's that 8pt I really want. I put the ever calm all around the cam. He saw the cam and then went on sniffing for a good while. I also put it on a rub near by and it was hit pretty hard. I really can't say either way, though.
[video=youtube;dU-7TnFXQn4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU-7TnFXQn4[/video]

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
You bastards. I had to buy this today because I couldn't take the number of positive reviews and the thought that I might need it on a bruiser that would leave one second too soon for me to loose an arrow. Just what I need...more stuff. Hahahha.

Big H

Medina
I used it for the first time this weekend and had deer around me feeding on acorns. I was only about 16 feet up, good backdrop and had smeared some on my boots on the way in and on a couple of trees. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but I saw deer Saturday night and Sunday morning (12 total) most within 15 yards and my dad and my buddy only saw some deer in the field, nothing close. Nothing negative for me to report yet.

Big H

Medina
Just ordered some.... fuggers.

I was in Bergholz TOO Cotty.

I think it is very similar to the Fitzgerald Deer Dander I have been using for years, but it has a better delivery system meaning the paste will hang on your boots longer versus spraying your boots every 50 yards or so. I have had numerous deer over the years come down the same trail I used following the deer dander smell.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He's that 8pt I really want. I put the ever calm all around the cam. He saw the cam and then went on sniffing for a good while. I also put it on a rub near by and it was hit pretty hard. I really can't say either way, though.

Mike, I think those videos are more powerful than you realize. Most bucks would have bolted after staring at the IR glow for 3 seconds. Instead, your buck seemed to get more relaxed the longer he stood there sniffing the air. IMO that's a hell of a testament for the Ever Calm scent.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I used the Ever Calm once and shot my 1st deer. The doe was standing on my walkin trail when shot. She came in and kept going back and forth across the walking trail with her head up smelling the air. It seemed to calm her down trying to figure things out. She had 2 fawns 50 yds away but seem more interested in my trail than the fawns. Just a thought.
I used the smoker at the same time for the 1st time.
Both will be used each time I go out.
Frank

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Mike, there is a reason that buck stood there for that long. That was highly unusual IMO. I would say the evercalm was the reason. Good luck getting him...this week is prime time for hunting scrapes!

Oh, and thanks, I just ordered some!

Last edited: