Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting with my son

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
My son is 3 years old and I wanted to take him squirrel hunting this fall. We have went out 3 times and he is loving it. He does a great job of being pretty quiet (and he tries to be while walking too) and it takes 45 minutes to an hour before he asks for my phone to play on. So far we have shot 3 different fox squirrels and one smaller one that he spotted and missed a couple. Its a lot more challenging to spot a squirrel and then get shooting muffs on him and then find the squirrel again and take the shot. I'm also not able to really stalk any as he'll try to follow me. The important thing is he's loving it and is upset on the times we don't get any.

Here is the funny part. He has started doing imaginary squirrel hunting at home with me and my wife. He'll get quiet and then when he "sees" one he hands us "headphones" and when we put them on he shoots his flintlock looking capgun. Sometimes he gets them, other times he misses but the best part is after he shoots a few he then "peels" them after watching me skin a couple out.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
That is great stuff right there. I've alway's said: Teach your kids to hunt and you won't have to hunt for your kids!
Yes, we're gonna need to see a pic of all this.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is awesome! I started taking my son with me when he had to be on a pack frame. This weekend, it occurred to me that he does a pretty good job of keeping up with me, even on the hills. It was kind of a sad observation - but sure beat the heck out of having him on my back!

Keep taking that boy out, you'll never regret it!