Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Did A Little Camping

badger

*Supporting Member*
Joie and I had good intentions of packing up the car and making a surprise visit to the Strouds Run Camp. Problem was we ran out of time and wouldn't have made it down there till well after dark on Saturday. Instead we put a few things together and set up camp at a buddy's place here close to home. After starting a fire outside and in, we took a short walk on the property. The beaver are starting to be a real problem again, and I have the go ahead to take a few out this season. I'll be trapping a few to keep the numbers down, and to put some meat in the freezer. My buddy also wants a hide or two to hang in the cabin. We watched a young beaver swim around the pond, and quite a few ducks and geese came and went.

Once I had some good coals going in the fire pit, I layed a few firebrick in there to warm up. Next I put the two squirrels from my trip to Jim's place, in the dutch oven along with some chicken broth, onions, garlic, taters, and carrots. Surrounded the oven with coals and let it all simmer for a couple of hours. Not patting my own back, but this was one of the best meals I've cooked in a long time!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
dang dale that looks fabulous..Nothing worse than troublesome beaver...if ya get a spare pelt i'd love one too for the kids..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been known to eat some beaver too Dale.

There. I said it. You knew someone WAS going to say it. lmao

On a serious note: Looks like an absolutely wonderful weekend for you guys!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sweet...
Next time you come up to hunt, I'll already have a fire w/ coals going! lol
Dinner looked great!

badger

*Supporting Member*
dang dale that looks fabulous..Nothing worse than troublesome beaver...if ya get a spare pelt i'd love one too for the kids..

You got it buddy. I have some hides from last year I'll be getting out of the freezer soon.

Sweet...
Next time you come up to hunt, I'll already have a fire w/ coals going! lol
Dinner looked great!

Sounds good Jim. Joie said it was some of the best squirrel I've made.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
You got it buddy. I have some hides from last year I'll be getting out of the freezer soon.

Sounds good Jim. Joie said it was some of the best squirrel I've made.

Hard wood raised with a hint of Pine.