Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flyers?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Ruger 10/22, scoped and benched

What causes flyer's? I mean 1 foot off the paper type flyer's.
I can be benched and have 1 out of 5 or 1 out of 10 just leave the reservation. Then the next round is right back on paper.
Is it the scope or the gun. (today I know its not me. lol)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just guessing here of course. Although Ruger makes a great semi-auto, if they get a bit fouled they don't always chamber the round cleanly. Not necessarily jam, but enough to bang up the bullet a bit. That may be the issue. If it is, I bet when you chamber the first round and fire, it always hits where it should...correct?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Its always a shot from the middle of the group.

If the barrel was "shot out" I assume most shots would be wild; is that correct?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes they would. It is pretty hard to "shoot a barrel out" with a 22. Low velocity rimfire cartridges don't do much damage. Shoot ten shots, loaded one at a time (which is hard to do with a 1022), just keep the clip out and see if you get a better group. Poor quality ammo could cause it too, and I would suspect it is either the ammo, or the way the gun is cycling new rounds in. A good cleaning will take care of it if it is just loading into the chamber poorly.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
9/10 it is the scope. I would take it off and shoot irons off the bench and then give the results. If you have some available I would try different ammo. I had a box of Yellow Jackets that had an underpowered (way) round every 15 or so.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I wonder if the horz/vert adjustment guts could be loose/bad. There were times when a couple of "clicks" did nothing, then a couple more clicks and a big move.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
9/10 it is the scope. I would take it off and shoot irons off the bench and then give the results. If you have some available I would try different ammo. I had a box of Yellow Jackets that had an underpowered (way) round every 15 or so.

Been trying diff ammo. Its a gun I've had for years.
The Vortex would look sick on there...
(but I won't) lol