Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blast from our past

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ron and I had some great luck back in the mid 90's. We aquired some new hunting property and went right to work scouting it out. The following year in 1995, I harvested this buck I named Quads after having a couple encounters with him. I shot him while hunting on the ground along a scrape line. The shot was 22 yards and he had just hit a scrape and was going on to the next one.
Here he is right where he died:

Next day photo shoot(don't laugh at the mullet please)lol

The next year Ron killed a buck he named Massey after seeing him the Friday before the start of the season. I came down and scouted and found a larger rub and where he was crossing a creek in a funnel and erected a stand on the downwind side of the trail. I hunted it for a evening and slipped out and told Ron where I put it. His next hunt he sat in it and killed him.
Here Ron is with several buddies on the recovery of Massey:

Here is Ron at the the photo shoot the following day:

Sorry for the poor quality of photos as they were taken off the TV from my iphone.

We also have video recovery clips of both deer so we can always enjoy them years down the road. We highly recommend doing this on YOUR next recovery.
Thanks for checking this out. Goodluck to all TOOzers on your next hunt and may you lay a biggin low.

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Man, you two are some deer killin' machines! What I wouldn't give to have a chance to watch and learn over your guys' shoulder for a few years...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys! Some time when I get time I'll try to post clips from both recoveries if I can. Problem is they are rather lengthy and on 8mm tape cassettes. This was definitely a stretch over our hunting careers that we'll never forget.

Jim, the ASAT camo is some awesome stuff! Practically invisible when hunting on the ground,especially standing corn!

buckstar25

T-county
I'm more impressed with the 6 dozen arrows in the quiver!! Dang!

Great pics! Hope you can get the vids up, would be cool to see that.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am with Flutey. I would love to shadow you guys for a season or two. Great bucks! I won't make fun of the mullet, but I was curious what happened to the dark hair? I tease only because I am catching up quickly!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm more impressed with the 6 dozen arrows in the quiver!! Dang!

Great pics! Hope you can get the vids up, would be cool to see that.

haha, Yeah, when you can't shoot very well you need as many bullets and as big a clip you can get your hands on!lmao

Seriously though, Ron has an excellent track record over the years on his bowhunting and shooting at the target butt. Back in the days of the 70's,80's and even some of the 90's guys who bowhunted kept their archery gear and hunting gear much longer and used it. I'm not positive but his quiver there was probably a Kolpin 8 arrah holder and was chosen based on the quiteness,easier to attach and most importantly how close it hugged his bow. The bows and assessories seen in both years up above were bought and used since the mid 80's and are considered dinosaurs when compared to todays models. It's not rare for a lot of hunters today to dump a $1000.00-$1300.00 rig on ebay and upgrade to a model thats 2-3 years newer,faster or quieter. This is why I truely admire those who hunt and shoot with trad bows and gear. The advancement in technology in that arena is not needed and is kept simple and never loses its effectiveness as long as the hunter continues to practice.

Thanks again everyone for the comments.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Funny how things have changed. I always carried 8 arrows in my quiver, felt naked if I only had 7 in there. Haven't a clue how we shot with all that weight on the side of the bow! Really cool to see pics from a few years back!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Funny how things have changed. I always carried 8 arrows in my quiver, felt naked if I only had 7 in there. Haven't a clue how we shot with all that weight on the side of the bow! Really cool to see pics from a few years back!
Yes Brock they have! It's funny, every swingin' dick that bowhunted with compounds shot Easton XX75 orange shafts of either 2018 or 2117 with 4-5 inch feathers or vanes. In our area, Wasps broadheads were the most popular but nothing smaller than 125 grain. Then, the Jennings bow was also king but PSE,Golden Eagle and Martin started getting popular.

Haha, everyone shot a bow with a Berger button TOO! Fuggars were always a pain in the ass to get the proper tension set on them. It's funny you brought up the large qwivers back in the day. It seemed like they sold mostly 6-8 arrow qwivers back then, maybe with the Neanderthal bows people hunted with back then, the manufactures felt we needed more rounds. Rotflmao

I wonder if hunters 20-30 years from now will be saying the same thing about the gear and weaponry we use now. Lol

buckstar25

T-county
I used the Kwik-E quiver on my Bear Whitetail, graduated to the Jennings Gale Force, then to Golden Eagle....1985 seems soooo long ago when you look at what is out there now!

My first doe was shot 19yds, shooting fingers on my Bear. And yeah if you weren't shooting Easton's you weren't Bowhunting. We used NAP thunderheads! My old man still shoots them because he stock piled them and if it ain't broke he don't fix it.