Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trophy Doe Topic

gavennn

I was posting in the other post about My buddy shot a doe UGH. The topic was broached in that discussion that as a hunting society we have devalued Does. I know that as trophy value goes we place the higher Value on the 200 inch deer. They certainly are a rare find. I personally have only killed 2 deer over 140 inches, luckily both was with bow. I know how rare they can be.

I myself have had more than one arch nemesis of an Alpha Doe. A property I hunted near Johnstown had a doe on it that no matter where i used my climber If she was within 70 yards of me, She would pick me off. I am pretty adamant with my scent control, and I always hunt the wind. This Doe would pick me off by sight. I think she spent most of her time looking up as she walked around. This stuff went on for 3 years. One year chase phase was on. She was being run around by a Nice 145"ish 10 point. She was taking a path that have run the buck 10 yards from my stand. She still picked me off by sight and took the Buck with her. I spent the Rest of the Season actually Chasing that Doe before she educated the herd. I ended up killing her. I shot her first day of muzzle loader season from a ground blind 20 yards from the tree she picked me out of during that rut hunt. When I shot she was looking away from me and the blind and up at the tree i was sitting in that day.

She field dressed out at 169 pounds and vet friend of mine estimated she was about 7 years old from her teeth. This is but one of many stories and encounters I have had with Does. It is like them OLD does have a six sense about them. Even when you do everything right sometimes they will bust you.

Even with my 2 nice bucks some of my most memorable hunts have been doing battle with those wise old does. I never mounted her like most wouldn't. But till this day to me that is my most memorable achievement was killing that particular Apha doe. I still have a since of accomplishment for getting her.

I will put my feet up and grab some popcorn and enjoy the discussion.

gavennn

Im sure some of you out there have some does who foiled your best setups and gave you fits. Im sure some of you have Doe harvests who you value the same if not more than some of your buck harvest. Lets hear about them.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll contribute to this when I have a little more time. I do have a couple of good stories and have one in the works! I agree that a big, old matriarchal doe is just as much of a trophy as a mature buck due largely to the fact you have to deal with them more often. Not to mention that bucks can be lackadaisical at times, whereas a big doe is almost always on edge.

Good topic!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Some years ago I hunted for a week down at Salt Fork with some friends, I was bow hunting they were just relaxing and doing some squirrel hunting..... I hunted every morning till noon went had lunch BS'd around and back out @ 3:00 for the evening hunt.... Not seeing any deer all week except for a little doe that would come out in the evening into a huge field that I would set up on hoping too pattern one.... Well all I kept seeing is this one lonely doe and every evening I would change my set up and try too get closer too her and every evening she changed it up.... I finally had had enough and decided she wouldn't get the best of me.... The last day I had too hunt thereI set up where I thought she would step out and missed it by about a hundred yards.... Tucked back up into the woodline stalked her too with in 30 yards got set up and put an arow through her she piled up within sight in the field.... Trophy???? Not by any means but I worked hard for her and learned somethings too boot....

Like you said they're not racked trophies but I put he work in for the harvest none the less..... I'll always remember the week leading up too the harvest due too the fact that there were hundreds of acres and great sign in a lot of the areas that I hunted and just wasn't seeing anything moving during the daylight hours.... As far as I was concerned she was the only deer in the woods that week..... :smiley_coolpeace:

gavennn

I am a firm believe the best trophy is the memories we make that we keep for ourselves. Those dont matter if they are buck or doe.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Agreed about the best trophies.

And the de-valuing of does.

I myself don't have any ongoing doe battles like that, but I'm thinking a big fat doe is as much a prize as a buck.

I guess if does had singular recognizable characteristics then we'd hear more doe stories, but it's kinda tough when they look alike.

Gordo

Athens County
Ive never killed a beast of a doe, but have been busted by shit tons of them.

Maybe i'll get into it with one this season

I agree it would be just as rewarding and challenging.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have several nanny does on one of the properties I hunt. There were no shot opportunities in bow range for me last year during most of the season. I had plenty of shots at yearlings and young bucks, but the nanny does were always just out of range. Can't say I had any blow repeatedly (sure occasionally you get busted but not with regularity on this farm). I hunted hard last year. I was out opening day and I was still hitting it hard on the last day of the season.

With about an hour or hour and a half of the season left I saw 3 deer working my way. I didn't think they were ever going to make it to me. Took them most of the hour to browse 1-200yds. With 20min of legal shooting light in the season left, I was able to put an arrow in the nanny at 36yds. This was very rewarding to me after hunting so hard all season. I had also promised my foreman I would give him my last deer for his family if I tagged another. I was starting to worry whether I could deliver or not.

The number one doe on our hitlist is one we call "Lezbodoe". She hasn't had any fawns the last 2 years. During the summer we see her on trail camera pictures running with the bachelor groups. She is enormous! She has a reddish color to her and a real dark brisket as big as the brisket on a buck. Last year I had a shot at her at 41yds and missed. She was on high alert (as she always is) and my arrow sailed over her. That night my buddy had a shot at her and missed as well. That ol' girl has a forcefield around her. I would love to see her take a dirt nap this year!

Kaiser878

ohio
I have had a few run ins with some bitches...I dont have photos of one I killed a few years back....but she was nasty

But I have killed a few in recent years that were pain in the asses

This deer was a pain in the ass...Probably the biggest doe I have ever killed

I shot this one in "old Faithful" last year opening week...She was a weary old hag too

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I had one 2 years ago that was with a shooter buck. I had put out some "special golden estrous" that morning in hopes of drawing in a buck. It was late October and it was time. Shortly after daylight I spot 2 deer coming through an overgrown field heading in my direction. It was a very large mature buck following a GIGANTIC doe....It just so happened that day the wind had shifted out of the Southeast and the 2 deer were heading to the Northwest of me. As they closed to within 50 yards, that big doe got a whiff of the "golden estrous" and went on high alert....there was no way she was going to lead that buck toward another doe that was close to breeding. She turned 90 degrees and headed straight west and took the big boy with her. I am positive had that buck been on his own that morning or had the wind been any other direction I would have gotten a shot at that buck.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've had more problems over the years with mature does than bucks.... They just have that sixth sense that keeps your head shaking... Now I really don't have any mature buck encounters like a lot of you either but I imagine they're just as weary as the mature does..... And using any estreous scents has always backfired on me due too does hating that scent..... I quit using it a few years back just because I was tired of them blowing at it.... I was s,oked all up and they were busting me because of shit I was using too draw in bucks and it always seemed too backfire on me....