Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DJK Frank 16's Hunting Log

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Figured I would get this thread started, I will be kicking off my 2012 season this evening. Looking forward to being in a tree that's for sure!

Morning Hunts:0
Evening Hunts:0
Hours on Stand:0

Bucks Seen: 0
Does Seen: 0
Fawns/Yearlings Seen:0

Shots Taken: 0
Harvests: 0

Total Deer Seen:0

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
All settled in quietly. My view for the evening:

North
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350423103.729473.jpg

South

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350423137.354323.jpg

Just a bunch of brush east and west.

This guy is lucky I'm short on arrows:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350423205.517953.jpg

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Great night to be in the stand. Heard some movement back in the corn behind me but nothing decided to come out and give me a look.

Felt great to be back out there though!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Updating numbers from last nights hunt:

Morning Hunts:0
Evening Hunts:1
Hours on Stand:2.5

Bucks Seen: 0
Does Seen: 0
Fawns/Yearlings Seen:0

Shots Taken: 0
Harvests: 0

Total Deer Seen:0

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Nice looking views from the stand last night! Keep those pics coming & good luck out there Drake. Look forward to watching your season here.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Alright just a quick update. I pulled a cam from the stand I hunted last week and found just what the sign told me was using the thicket, small buck and some does. I won't give up on that property though, I think it will make for a great rut stand once the bucks start searching/chasing does.

I took the cam and went to a property that I have saved just for the rut. I was very happy with the sign. Lots of tracks, scrapes, and a few 3-4 inch trees rubbed. I hung a camera over one of the scrapes and made sure my sets were still there (steps in tree for Lonewolf Setup).

Here is the map of the woodlot. This is more for me just to layout what I saw lastnight and see if I am making the right moves by keeping the two setups where they are. Crops are outlined and labeled. Yellow is standing corn. The blue is a creek/ditch. Red X's are stand locations. Red dot is where the trail/sign starts and moved through the woods. I outlined the major sign areas with a white line.

North wind that is being forecasted for the next 3-5 days is not good for this section, so this will give me time to let it settle down a little bit. I won't be back out there until I hunt it. I plan on hunting the left stand location first, trying to catch them going to or from the corn. Depending on what this hunt tells me, I will probably move on up to the east and hunt the scrape/rub line that the camera is over. I think that will be my better bet, catch them coming from the bedding area/corn/CRP and coming into the woods. As soon as they enter the woods from the CRP and hit the trail, it is dead nuts 25 yards from my tree.

I am open to any suggestions and will keep everyone posted on this location.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Slipped into the stand quietly this morning, got strapped in, bow pulled up and realized. I had a hole in my HSS vest pocket. My release had fallen out... :smiley_blackeye:

Back tracked all the way back to the truck and couldn't find it. Going to road scout until 10 or so and then go check for it again and grab my shit. Talk about a kick in the bag...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I was SO pissed yesterday morning. I ended up turning it into a productive day though. Was up in the air on where to hunt yesterday afternoon after tromping all over my first setup looking for my release, I ended up getting on a HUGE buck track. Ran home and grabbed some more steps, a cam, and my lineman's belt and put up a killer set for this week, that I will have no problems hunting with this crappy North wind they are calling for.

Not having a rut vacation is really sucking right now, but I will be in the stand tonight and tomorrow. Then back at it again Friday-Saturday-Sunday. Next week I was able to move my schedule to get in here early and should be able to hit it every evening. Hoping next week isn't the "lock down" week.

We will see how it goes, gotta make the best out of the time I have!

Last edited: