Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First for me

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Have been gun hunting a farm for many years with a buddy. This year we decided we would bow hunt it as well. The landowner has been very good to us over the years and allows us to take our camper down and park next to one of his barns. So we decide to take the camper down and hunt the weekend.

We get there Friday afternoon and set the camper up change clothes and head out to the woods to make sure our stands are still there and take our seat cushions out. We have never been in the woods on this farm this early in the year so we figured it would give us a chance to get our bearings with it being a lot greener than when we normally are there.

The walk in and around to our stands was good. We were able to see some great signs that the deer have been real active. Found probably half a dozen scrapes within 100 yards of my stand and they appeared to all be pretty active. On our way to his stand we spotted 2 mature does working there way up the opposite ridge line. We watched them as they eased up the hill and out of sight over the edge. Overall a good visit for the short time we were in the woods that night.

Saturday morning we woke up and headed out to the stands. On my way to my stand I pass by one of the scrapes and it was obvious it was freshened up during the night. We stayed in until noon. No action other than the numerous Chipmunks and Squirrels running around.

Saturday afternoon we decided to still hunt towards an area we had not been in for a few years and check it out and then we would split up and head to our stands. After a couple hours of sneaking through to the area we wanted to check out we decided to head for our stands for the rest of the evening.

On my way to my stand I stopped a few times and applied some Deer in Herd scent to stumps and trees. Got to my stand about 4:30pm and settled in. The chipmunks and squirrels came back to entertain me for the evening and that almos cost me a shot. At 6:15pm I hear something approaching from the opposite side of a bottom I am facing. I am looking and looking but can't see anything. My heart rate is staring to rise and then I see it. DAMN squirrel crossing the creek. I settle back down and start scanning around some more. The light in the bottom I am in is starting to fade and i am getting a little antsy. I hear a noise again from the across the creek and figure the squirrel is on the move again. The noise is getting louder and I am sure this is not a squirrel. I look to my right toward the creek and spot a deer crossing and working its up the hill. Its about 35 yards out and working to my right. It stopps at a stump that I had put the Deer in Herd scent on smells around and then turns straight for my stand. With it coming straight at me I can't grab my bow and I know within minutes its going to be to late. It turns and starts heading up the hill. Going to be staright broadside in a couple steps. With its head down I take the opportunity and grab my bow and hook up my release. I need it to take 2 steps to get a clear shot. It hangs up for what seemed like an eternity but then takes a step. I draw. It takes another step. I double check my pin pick a spot and let the arrow fly. It bucks and takes off. I watch it as it gets 40yds, 50yds, 60yds and it piles up. I watch it thrash then I lose sight. First thing going through my mind was Did it get up? My shot felt good but it happened so fast. DAMN squirrels. I should have been more ready. Its getting darker by the minute, so I ease down out of the stand and hear several snorts from up the hill behing me. I snort wheeze back so hopefully they don't think Danger. I head to where the deer was when I shot. I see no blood and no arrow. UH OH! I check around a little bit and find my arrow about 5 yds to the left of where it was. Arrow is covered in good blood. I pick up the blood trail but its only been a few minutes so I just sit there for a while and wait. It is pretty dark out now so I turn my headlamp on and begin following the trail. Its a great blood trail easy to follow even in the dark. I follow it to where I saw it pile up and there it is. My first deer harvested with a bow. Its not a monster buck, but this button buck will be a trophy for me. After the last 8-9 years of bowhunting every opportunity I could mostly on public land and all the missed opportunities I faced and learned from. I finally was able to close the deal.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Awesome read man, congrats on your first bow kill! Them little nubbies on that button buck will make a great set of pocket rattlers! LOL

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was all sorts of pumped on my first bow kill as well. Mine ended up being a button buck TOO! Congrats man!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was all sorts of pumped on my first bow kill as well. Mine ended up being a button buck TOO! Congrats man!

Mine was a BB as well.... Still remember it as if it were yesterday not 25 years or so ago :smiley_clap: Congrats on your first bow kill....