Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

33" vs 31 inch ATA

I'm thinking of trading in my Hoyt Katera 33 for either a Elite Answer or Hunter. I've shot both the Answer and hunter twice now and love them. They both feel the same in terms of vibration, draw, backwall, balance, and noise. The only difference between them is the Answer is 2 inchs longer and a little faster. Is there anyone here that has gone from a 33 inch ata bow to a 31 inch ata bow. If so can you tell a difference in ease of moving around in brush or tree stand. If there isnt any benefit to the 31 inch ata. ill think i'd rather have the speed of the of the answer if thats the case. I'm going to keep my hoyt CRX 35 as my 3d bow for this year.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
IMHO there is no reason to have a super short bow (unless you are a short feller). Most of the time the overall length is very close due to cam size. The ease of shooting a longer ATA bow wins out with me everytime. I hunted out of a blind, with a 35 ATA bow, with no issues.

But for a strictly hunting bow out to 40 yards I think you could shoot about anything. I just don't enjoy shooting short bows.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Had a 31 once and had a draw of 30...kinda wierd... 33 in no wear long for any type of hunting. I prefer 34 to 36 for hunting. I dont care for elites mega letoff either..

im still thinking about it.

Well I cant say the hunter or Answer are bad bows..If you like them go for it,but the Katera is a fine bow if you ask me...ATA wise the Answer is about an inch longer then my Z28 and the hunter is about 1 inch shorter...Is this the 2013 hunter or the past model?(havent got my hands on the updated hunter)_...I am looking for a bow similar to my Z28 but 20fps or so faster to use for 3D next year(Z can sit till fall).The Answer is on that list if I can find one priced right used..My buddy has a Aigil SS(aigil with Rev cams) which I can get a smoking deal on if I wait a few months....Good luck on making a decision

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Not a bash as I think they are perfect for some but the things that kept me from having another Elite...

Grip.
TOO much valley even with the stops moved. (Not so much a thing for you TL as it is strictly a hunting bow.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Not a bash as I think they are perfect for some but the things that kept me from having another Elite...

Grip.
TOO much valley even with the stops moved. (Not so much a thing for you TL as it is strictly a hunting bow.

I dunno about the valley Charles, I thought it felt like there wasn't hardly any at all when i adjusted my draw stops all the way in.

Either way, shoot them all and see what feels best to you.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Im going to a shop that carries the new hoyts tomorrow. Dont worry I give them all a far chance.

vector turbo is VERY high on my list...its quiet and very fast. those tin sounding elites are much louder in my opinion. the turbo has a silky draw but the roller guards is a complete douche...big mistake on the turbo in my opinion.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
A lot. Burner and a turbo are essentially opposites on feel and draw cycle. The burner is very aggresive. The turbo is very smooth on both draw and shot.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Yes quite a bit. String noise especially. The burner seems to have a whip like noise when the hard part of the cam slams home.

Last edited:
vector turbo is VERY high on my list...its quiet and very fast. those tin sounding elites are much louder in my opinion. the turbo has a silky draw but the roller guards is a complete douche...big mistake on the turbo in my opinion.

Im with you on Hoyt's roller guard design its annoying sometimes. Its a lot harder to do maintenance on the bow that other designs out there.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Im with you on Hoyt's roller guard design its annoying sometimes. Its a lot harder to do maintenance on the bow that other designs out there.

That's what marketing gets you. Form before function....

Greg,

The Answer I shot couldn't get the holding % below 78%. Valley was shorter but still a low holding weight. I would let up, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, WHACK!

I can see where someone would love it for hunting though...you can hold them forever.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yes quite a bit. String noise especially. The burner seems to have a whip like noise when the hard part of the cam slams home.

I was shooting beside a dude with a Vector Turbo at 70#'s and they were quite comparable. He shot mine and it bout ripped his arm off. Lol

He was using a lighter arrow though. 385 grains I believe. So a heavier arrow would make it quieter. Plus who knows what kind of tune it had. $900 bow and shooting 8" group at 20...3 arrows. Lol

There was a guy there with Blowtech Insanity....it was nice. Dang, it was really nice. Shot right at IBO and was quiet. Dual yokes to tune with. I will not buy one, I will not buy one, I will not buy one... REALLY liked the draw. But it was a 60 pounder and dropping 10 pounds can really foul you.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As far as ATA length goes, I did not notice a difference (manueverability-wise) when going from a 32" to a 33.75" bow. If I were you, and picking between the Answer and the Hunter, I'd pick the Answer since it's faster.

In regards to the Elites... Yep, they're louder IMO... quite a bit louder. That being said, the binary system is super easy to tune, and it stays in tune. The valley can be adjusted quite a bit by sliding the draw stops. And if you want holding weight adjusted for your preferences, that can be done by tweaking cable lengths.

The new Vector Turbos are pretty sweet. I've only shot one, but it was nice. If I were looking for another bow, I'd look really hard at a new Strother too... or even an Obsession.