Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

buddy shot a doe, ughhh

at1010

*Supporting Member*
My buddy shot a doe two night ago, says he thinks he hit the shoulder.

Well he is a good guy, and a good hunter, just made a poor shot I guess. We didnt find the arrow, a drop of blood or hair.

I searched for two hours at night, and about another 2 hours the next night.

shot her with a 2 blade rage at 25 yards out of a Mathews z7xtreme. I would have thought if he did hit the shoulder it would have punched through, what you all think. He saw the doe running with the arrow sticking out of her and he was shocked to see it only went in a few inches.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not a surprise. The mechanicals don't carry the KE like a fixed point. Simple physics. Not trying to start a debate. When you say "a few inches" are we talking an inch and a half or 3-4" or 6-8"? Not every bow, nor every broad head will punch thru a shoulder. I realize it can happen sometimes. Not judging your buddy by any means. Just thinking that deer may very well be alive.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I think it alive, I searched a dang thicket for 2 hours, hands are lashed up.

I shoot muzzys for this reason, but I know a lot of people who love rage, not trying to start that debate.

Just curious on opinions if you think it lived or not. He said the arrow didnt even go in half way.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That can't happen with the all powerful rage two blade. It's impossible.

That was sarcasm if some didn't get it. Lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hard to say without seeing the arrow and the blood trail myself, but she could very well be alive. A few inches of penetration is usually not enough to seal the deal...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've had two shoulder hits in my deer hunting career one bad result and one I recovered that shattered it and made the vitals.... not proud of either one but its part of the learning process .....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thanks for all the comments. My buddy feels like shit, I can tell talking to him yesterday he was still super upset about it. I told him it happens. It sucks but it does happen.

I think he held is draw a little to long, and when he shot it just smacked high in the shoulder. I am guessing the deer is alive, cause I went through the damn woods like a blood hound looking for it.

This was his first weekend out hunting, atleast he got to draw his bow. I think I have logged almost 40 hours in a tree so far, and have not had a shot opportunity yet.

gavennn

Yeah happens to the best of us. Not to sound mean but better a skin head than a deer with a head full of bone.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
guys I dont think he ment that, but just meaning that you have a chance at seeing a doe again and getting a shot.

A big buck is for some a once every several years chance and if you dont make it count you might be out of luck.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Odnr themselves devaluates a doe..why cant he?
Not agreeing with it but it is see that way already

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is exactly what I'm talking about! People have come to value a doe as little more than a nuisance, partially due to the DOW management and kill 'em all attitude. That is of course the same doctrine that is preached by QDMA, and a lot of people do not have sense enough to recognize that not EVERY area "needs" doe management. You are NOT helping the herd by ridding it of does.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
That is exactly what I'm talking about! People have come to value a doe as little more than a nuisance, partially due to the DOW management and kill 'em all attitude. That is of course the same doctrine that is preached by QDMA, and a lot of people do not have sense enough to recognize that not EVERY area "needs" doe management. You are NOT helping the herd by ridding it of does.

Good post, I am a huge fan of QDMA, but I have had many long talks with guys about the value of does. I have owned my farm for 3 years, I have killed one doe on the place in three years. I am not going to kill a doe this year on my place unless late season I start to draw does in from far away and start seeing large numbers.

I agree with killing does, but only in certain situations, on another farm I hunt shit just a few miles from my own it is covered up in deer. Between me and my buddy we saw over 20 in a few sits. My other friend saw 20 does in a night, so it depends where your hunting at, and in some cases you need to kill em and some places not.

Even though I am a huge fan of QDMA, I still do not think you need to have the ratio 1to1, it probably wont have a large effect on antler development or herd health especially in areas of Ohio where we have so much ag, food plots, feeders, etc.

All in all no matter what the case you never want to have a deer get away from you. I hope you all realize that I did everything I could to help my buddy find the deer, and by no means would devalue anything that I hunt. I have way to much respect for deer, and nature to do that.

gavennn

Actually I place a high value on a Doe. The statement was simply meant as read. As I read the story, i assumed it was a bad shot. If your going to bow hunt sooner or later a bad shot WILL happen. If it was going to happen I personally would rather it happen when shooting a Doe than have it happen on a trophy of a lifetime.

I really dont think there is many here that would not agree. Im not saying a Doe is less of a trophy. In fact on several other forums I have countless times stated exactly the opposite. I am a firm believer in accomplishment Killing the Alpha Doe of the Herd is a Far bigger accomplishment than killing a nice buck. However, in my 7-8 years browsing online forums I have yet to see post after post of people talking about pursuing Trophy Does. It could be a great topic though.